or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Simon Templar

We have 3 good quality, leather lounges - a two seater, 2.5 seater and 3 seater. They are so comfortable i have fallen asleep on them many a time watching tv after work. The 2.5 seater would be ideal as its long enough to lie on (shoes off obviously). Both seats on the 2 and a halfer, also have a lever and recline. The middle seat on the 3 seater doesn't recline so it's a bit of a waste, as no one in the family ever sits on it only visitors. A couple more things to look...
Although i wear a Submariner, it's cousin the Rolex Sea Dweller (old style not the new DSSD) is a very manly yet elegantly understated watch. Wanted one but my wrist just wasn't big enough for the more chunky Sea Dweller.
In a way i admire the Bloc Quebecois for wanting to protect their heritage, language, culture and traditions from outside influences. I think parties like that are desperately needed in Anglophone Canada, Australia. The UK has the Independence Party which i predict will get stronger and stronger as people get fed up with being sold out by the major parties.
Quote: Originally Posted by z7f9q Can't say enough how much I disagree. Seriously, that would be a recipe for economic stagnation. The Swiss/French debates have been exceptionally repellent in my view, and not at all a model to follow. How are you going to enforce belief? Punish people if they break the law, encourage civic participation, and go from there. By and large, immigrants add a lot to society, and the change they bring is generally...
Quote: Originally Posted by oman wait hang on, some of that doesn't make sense imo you guys are desperately in need of some sort of cosmopolitanism. seriously, look at the culture of rowdiness you've got, and youre blaming the immigrants for not being "compatible with western style democracy, law and way of life"? Australia is cosmopolitan enough as it is. I have no desire to see it turn into a complete "melting pot", globalisation and political...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pantisocrat Can you suggest one or two good reads on the history of Australia, from colony to the present? Better if there's audibles (audio books) for them. Glad you find this stuff interesting Pantisocrat. Robert Menzies was Prime Minister for 18 years. He had a strong belief in the principles of family, individual achievement, self-reliance and the importance of the middle class. Here is an excerpt from his...
Quote: Originally Posted by stewartu Anything with Adrienne Barbeau. Her body of work has been completely overlooked by most discerning critics. Shame on them. Good old "The Fog". Can't remember what else she was in though.
Quote: Originally Posted by PITAronin My own experience would suggest that - prior to locking in your hotel - you check with them just to get some assurances that there isn't any nearby construction project (or, for that matter in-hotel renovation) that might compromise your enjoyment of your stay. About 18 months ago I cashed in a load of airline/hotel points and took a small group to Istanbul where we had rooms at the top of the line Hilton. While the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr Herbert i meant rude as in crude, i.e. yelling, swearing, making politcally incorrect jokes etc. i understand Australian culture pretty well. what a load of horse shit. lebanese or middle eastern 'australians' make the headlines due to cynical editors knowing that uneducated morons will lap it up. Any skewed crime statistics towards these groups has more to do with the fact that they are disadvantaged than the fact...
Plivice Lakes National Park in Croatia may also be worth a visit. Check it out. I've been told to avoid Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, not because of the sights but because of possible issues with corrupt/unfriendly officials and higher chance of crime.
New Posts  All Forums: