or Connect

Posts by garymyman

I may have to make a shopping trip to Tokyo if others have 16.5/33 as a standard size. Far too many of my high dollar shirts have been butchered by local tailors shortening sleeves the wrong way. I just received my second batch of Kamakura: white pinpoint, blue royal oxford spread collar and another blue OCBD. I wish two things: 1) They had university stripes in Tokyo Classic fit and 2) that they did dress shirts without the front pocket. Even with those two quibbles (that...
Well a roper isn't a cowboy boot, but that's not the point either. The point is that those ropers are the most comfortable footwear I own - including running shoes. I wear a brown pair of ropers with chinos but usually wear alligator cowboy boots with a suit when I can get away with it. After wearing Allen Edmonds all day I feel like I could run a 5K when I put my boots on.
One thing about engineers: none of them know how to dress. As everyone else has said: stop buttoning the bottom button on your suit - permanently, buy a white shirt, a subdued tie and some nice shoes and you'll be golden. My friend is a petroleum engineer who makes 4x what I do as an attorney. He wears Lauren by Ralph Lauren suits and Tommy Hilfiger ties. He also bought his wife a Ford Flex so maybe his tastes are bad in every regard. Good luck in your interview.
It's started here in the USA. Call me jaded by SF & eBay, but $1350 for a RLBL Anthony suit just isn't very enticing. The shoe sale doesn't look great, either. Though I do love the dove gray Polo suit that's on sale for $1079...Well, hell. Now the suit's down to $971 shipped. I got a nearly new Polo II suit on ebay last week for $60 so if I bought this one it would be 2 Polo suits for a grand, which is totally justifiable.
I see your point, but watches have evolved since the 60's - by that I mean they're all big. A new DateJust (certainly a dressy watch) is 39mm today whereas its 1960's iteration was 36mm. The Omega DeVille has grown even more. Fifty years ago it may have looked out of place to wear a 40mm Submariner with a suit but today I wouldn't think twice (and wear the Planet Ocean often). And where do we draw the line? The GMT Master isn't technically a diving watch and is the same...
I think that is ridiculous. A Submariner looks great under a suit or tuxedo. So does my Omega Planet Ocean 42mm.
How the hell do you tie a tie like that? It's one skill that no matter how many Youtube videos I watch I cannot master.
Very minimal wrinkling. A quick Iron and they look like they're fresh from the cleaners. After a day of wear it still looks good (I have the blue one on now). After being stuck in the BB Non-Iron phase for a while I've finally branched out and have been wearing a lot of Ledbury shirts recently and they're the same way. I put my shirts in the dryer for about 10 minutes on low heat to get out "hard wrinkles," let them hang dry and iron once dry.On another note: I wonder how...
I just had an idea for the Classic Menswear & Streetwear forums, and I'm going to sound like a dick for suggesting it. But it seems like good threads get lost or pushed to page 2 and beyond due to the flood of new posters asking the same repetitive questions: "what suit can I get for $200?" "what do I wear to an interview?" "is brooks brothers the best suit in the world?". Is there a way to quarantine posters who have less than 100 posts (or 30) to a separate forum to ask...
I just got my first OCBD in from Kamakura and I couldn't be happier - the light blue is exactly what I was looking for. I can't think of a better spent $80. I have a terrible pear-shaped body and went with the Tokyo Classic fit. The fit is about the same as a Gitman Vintage - I got a 16.5/33 and wear a large in Gitman Vintage (there's a very helpful size guide on the site for those who are scratching their heads at the 4 different fits). This shirt is just incredible. The...