Posts by stimulacra

Let me clarify, by individual bonds, I meant an ongoing ladder of bonds, which would be what I would try to replicate in lieu of a bond fund. As old bonds in the ladder mature, they’re replaced by new issue.Some people seem to prefer holding actual bonds because they are guaranteed their original principal back along with the interest payments, where as the same amount invested in a bond fund would fluctuate in value day to day… they’re ignoring the value of bonds on the...
Berkshire Hathaway Nearly Quadrupled its Stake in Apple Stock Last Quarter http://bit.ly/2kHKSqd Wondering what Berkshire Hathaway spent the other $6 billion on…  edit: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-14/berkshire-took-stake-in-seed-company-monsanto-in-fourth-quarter
If my bonds decline in value due to rising interest rates, they do increase in yield during that same period, which I view to be a good thing if you're investing for the long term. If I were holding individual bonds till maturity it would be pretty much the same effect except I wouldn't be aware of any intrinsic decline in “net asset value” in the mean time.There is a good argument for holding cash (Harry Browne's “Permanent Portfolio” has its appeal). For me it's probably...
My current target asset allocation:70% Equities (moderate tilt to Small cap / emerging market)25% Bonds5% GoldProbably more conservative than most people here but keeping to that allocation lets me sleep easy at night and not panic when the stock market tanks even if bonds are in steady decline (I take some satisfaction in thinking I'm buying shares at a discount).It lets me stay the course.
I'm tilted about 10% each for SCV and EM.Every other month now I've just been shaving back to that allocation and moving the excess over to Total US bonds. Yes, my bond holdings are going down but not by much… I'm just keeping the allocations even keel.With that said, I did hit a personal milestone today… but it seems like that's happening about every 2-3 months now.Also Feb 2016 is definitely cherry picking… but I'm up 18% over the last 12 months
Been rebalancing out of small cap / emerging marketing and into Total US / Total Bonds. This would help me sleep soundly if and when a pullback occurs.Only two of my funds are in Investor shares now (VGHCX, VMVIX) but it would throw my allocation a bit out of whack to upgrade them to Admiral shares.My only real cause of dissatisfaction investment-wise in 2017 would be KO.
Good to know. I figured it was someone trolling…
Guy on Reddit claims to have inherited $2.5 Million and lost most of it daytrading (backed the wrong horse during the oil and gas downturn, Brexit, Hilary presidency, etc…). Tries to win it all back shorting AAPL before last month's earning call. http://bit.ly/2luPpNs After reading it I'm tempted to switch over to a 2050 target date fund and call it a day.
Bought MSFT earlier this year and like it. Satya Nadella is really leading the charge into a second renaissance for the brand with a strong footing in cloud and subscription services (Nice moat for corporate / enterprise.On the consumer side; the hardware they're coming out with is pretty compelling (coming from an Apple mac user) and while they have a ways to go in terms of lifestyle and recreation, I think they're making solid bets in gaming, VR, casual computing.Anyone...
AAPL has made my morning cup of coffee very enjoyable today