or Connect

Posts by scottcw

Roasting into second crack is overroasting for anything other than espresso.
It's not an issue of structured or unstructured. Look back through this thread at the various derby pictures. They did a sample derby that was posted on their Tumblr page with a much slimmer profile. Others are on a last with a toe box that resembles their service boot.
Hate the toe box. It looks like a low top service boot. I want a derby to be slim, not chunky.
Are you overdosing and adding water after brewing? If so, I avoid that method. Best method I have found is Coava Coffee's - http://coavacoffee.com/blogs/news/9853248-coava-250-brew-series-aeropress.I use a Porlex mini 3 clicks open. It's definitely not as clean as a Chemex or Woodneck, but a nice alternative.
Navy hopsack.
Stop with the creepy "nephew" fixation.
Woodneck produces a cleaner cup. I clean the cloth filter every month with some diluted JoeGlo and replace it every three months.
Chemex was my daily prep until I discovered the Hario Woodneck. Chemex can produce a great cup once you learn all the factors that come into play - grind size, extraction time, etc.
Hope the production model is the 2030.
None of mine have done so. For me, the difference in toe box makes or breaks whether I will buy the derby. Larger toe box = pass, slimmer toe box = buy.