or Connect

Posts by ringring

Hanes Beefy T & Fruit of the Loom Premiums.
Quote: Originally Posted by mizanation at work, i can't wear my jeans, so i have to make do with chinos. uniqlo actually makes an awesome chino. the fabric they use is nice and heavy. it's cut like a pair of jeans and it ages very well over time. at $19 you can't go wrong. they come slightly worn-in so they are very comfortable. comes in black, white, khaki and brown. i'm wondering if a good pair of chinos can distress like a pair of jeans,...
I think the Edwin reference is related to stonewashing rather than ringspinning. Both Edwin and Girbaud claim to have invented it's use. Ringspinning was developed in the first half of the 1800s, so it's been around a long while. Open end spinning wasn't developed until the 1960s and wasn't widely adopted for denim until the 80s.
Quote: Originally Posted by Augusto86 I was poking around on ebay and found this pretty cool pair of jeans from a company called Maharishi - had outlined stiching of the island of Honshu on the back. Unfortunately, the price on the auction quickly sky-rocketed, so I forgot about it. Haven't seen any of their stuff in bricks-and-mortar stores, though. Anybody know about them? English label as noted above, founded by Hardy Blechman - also...
Quote: Originally Posted by tangerine As a professional nit-picker, I feel compelled to state that the Sugarcane Hawaii SC40400N are natural indigo, and at the current exchange rate they are available for $281 US at Hinoya. Even with brokerage and shipping costs, they should come in under $400. That is all, carry on. Those Cane's are superb. Also in natural indigo are Pure Blue Japan's AI-001, at 45000 Yen which is also under $400. Ex...
Ring-ring and open end refer to the yarns - ie. the spinning method. Not the looms (weaving method). Many (most? - certainly the best known mills) mills weave ring-ring denim on modern wide width looms.
Quote: Originally Posted by Brian SD It is the edge of the denim bolt. Wide loom selvage looks more like a canvas weave than a twill weave, and has the frayed edges. I agree with the statements above that the jeans look very nice, and half selvage is great. I prefer shuttle selvage personally. Wide loom selvedge has nothing to do with the the type of weave. It can be woven just like shuttle loom selvedge into 3x1, 2x1, broken twill or plain...
"What I was referring to in usage of vintage machinery, etc. is that as time goes by, a lot of the old traditions that are there to hold up the jeans and keep them the hard wearing, colorfast workwear that they are, were set aside to lower production costs." Inefficiency, doesn't always equate to high quality. Anyway, unless one has been privvy to both old and new ways of making denim, or exposed to a lot of vintage and new denim, then it's hard to judge one above the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Brian SD Heh. Standards for creating denim have gotten worse over time. The old machinery and standards are much higher than the newer stuff. It's not like making wool, where technology just keeps getting better and wool from one year ago thats the same quality as 10 years ago is much cheaper. Traditional/older style denim is getting more expensive, not less. Not sure about that. If you're comparing mills in the...
"tradition aside, chainstitched seams don't hold a candle to lockstitched ones, for chainstitches unravel whereas lockstitches do not. Appearance you might claim ... but the exterior appearance of a lockstitch is the same as that of a chainstitch. It is merely a matter of longevity and strength which makes the lockstitch a better choice." The chainstitching used on jeans is called a 'Double lockstitch' and it certainly does 'hold a candle' to single lockstitching....