or Connect

Posts by vertig0

Hello gents, I’ve been a long time lurker on the forums, as I’ve been trying to cultivate my personal style over the last few years. I want to try and keep this brief, so I’ll get to the point. To try and keep it simple, I like minimal, masculine styling, casual & free, simple & clean, easy to wear shit. I’m definitely into clothes rather than fashion and have no interest trying to pull off difficult/complicated looks. Right now I live in Basic T-shirts and jeans,...
Quote: Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty ^http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157341 Thank you for the link, GraphicNovelty; some useful information in there. However, I didn't see much about labels one may find from the SF affiliates, could anyone comment on these labels that work well for an athletic build, and those that do not?
I could use some recommendations on labels that flatter those of us with athletic builds (still fitted, well-tailored, focused, not "ballony"). Furthermore, some recommendations on labels to stay away from could also be helpful. I would go to a store and actually try on multiple labels, but given my location I have to do all my shopping via the internet. Just for reference, when I say athletic, I do not mean big like a bodybuilder. I'm 5'10 174#, but am an industrial...
Can anyone comment on John Varvatos Star USA boots sizing? Thank you!
Quote: Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot The best thing to do is wait, really. I've bought online before, and there's really nothing like going into a store and trying the item on. 3/4 of the year, I'm in the same boat as you, and I know how much it sucks. I once had to buy a suit, and my options were Men's Wearhouse, Banana Republic, and Macy's. Take a trip to a bigger city sometime, and, while you're there, try stuff on. You don't need to buy...
Quote: Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot You are not a sitcom character, you are not a Batman villain. Not every aspect of your life needs to conform to a personal archetype. Instead of "dressing your personality", or deciding on what style you want before you've had a chance to develop your wardrobe, you'll be missing out on growth opportunities. Maybe you'll find out that you really like Paul Smith brogues. Not a fit with what you think of as your...
Quote: Originally Posted by netovargas90 It sounds like you are confusing simple with boring. Please have some personality, you wrote a novel on your aspiration to look mediocre. Yes, I agree. I realize now that I wrote way too much and that the majority of people did not read it, which is my fault. But the reason I wrote so much is I feel like I have a pretty good grip on my personality, and I'm trying to dress accordingly, so I thought...
Quote: Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot Good advice Thanks for the advice. I think my biggest problem is when I say I can't go to stores and try on things, I literally can't. I don't currently live around any sort of good shopping whatsoever, so the internet is my only outlet. Also, to go along with your picture suggestion, I actually started doing that some weeks ago because there is also no inspiration around me, which is really...
Quote: Originally Posted by BossTweed For shirts, if you're interested in OCBD's, I'd suggest the Brooks Brothers extra slim fit shirts. I don't think BoO will look so good with your build. If you're looking for some more interesting fabrics, you could buy J. Crew shirts that fit in the shoulders and then have them tailored in the waist. It's a very cheap job. The jeans you're wearing in the pic look like they fit very well. If those are the APC's,...
Gents, It’s been about five months since my original post and plea for sartorial advice, and I think it’s finally time for my follow up post. I’ve honestly been putting off writing this for a good while, as I’m still pretty green, but I feel I have a very good grasp on who I am and my personality, and it’s time my clothing became an extension of my personality. I’m, quite honestly, approaching this very seriously, because this is something I want to get better at. ...