or Connect

Posts by archibaldleach

I agree that dressing should not be a matter of strict optimization (for purposes herein, I mean consistently wearing the tie one thinks looks best with a particular jacket to the exclusion of all others), but I do think we can and should optimize to a certain degree. There is a balance between optimization and variety that is worth keeping in mind. Of course we don't wear the one best tie all the time with a particular jacket, but we also don't go to the extreme of...
Appreciate the examples. Most of the ones I like best are not true brown on brown though. I think if we put together a bunch of grey on grey and blue and blue, I'd like them better than the typical brown on brown. It's not because I don't like brown jackets.
I agree with the comments about some of the minor alterations that could be done to the chest / waist area in the Formosa POW. That said, I still think Noodles should wear the damn thing 3-4 times (to see how it breaks in as well as get some use out of it) before summer hits and he's not going to be wearing flannel. Then he'll have the whole damn summer to lose a few pounds and get the alterations done. This suit looks way better than the other stuff he is wearing to death...
Re: the brown tie and the brown suit, I think that brown is a color where multiple shades combine less well together in the top block than is the case with blues and greys. I almost never like my efforts to pair a brown tie with a brown jacket. On the other hand, brown shoes, a brownish tan trouser and brown jacket with the right contrast looks fine to me. Go figure.
^ Saw those in the shop when I visited NMWA. Was very jealous of everyone who had ordered one.
I'm not sure where I stand on the black shoes with a brown suit issue. I think it's done badly quite often (not saying in this case) but it could potentially work in some cases. The black suit with brown shoes comparison is different. A black suit is very limited in colors that can go with it (meaning you basically need black shoes, white shirt and there are a few potential tie colors that work) and its starkness doesn't work with brown shoes. A brown suit can be...
Perhaps not glen plaid, but you could probably pull off tweed or something like a Moonbeam fabric with denim, but then we're still in the casual realm. I'm 29 and live in Chicago, which has its formal parts but is more casual than NYC. Theoretically as a shorter guy I should like suits more than odd jackets but I just don't care. I wore a sport coat more often when I worked in an office, but when you work from home it can be tough to put too much effort on a day where...
Interesting. I get a general preference for suits if one is concerned about being underdressed and can see how if you're wearing suits frequently, having a few casual suits may just be a more logical step than having odd jackets and trousers. We're all products of our experience. My perspective currently is informed by working in business casual environments, where trousers and a dress shirt are all that is required and anything else would be comparably dressed up. Aside...
Noodles, start wearing the damn suit. Even without alterations it looks better than your beaters. Get work done on it while its not being used during the summer.
This is a really critical insight and will serve you well for a long time. What fits you best is going to be determined by the actual measurements of the garment (some 32s are sized to fit someone with a 32 inch waist, some offer a bit of vanity sizing and can fit someone with say a 33 inch waist, some are actually 32 inches around the waistband which might fit someone with a 30-31 inch waist. If you can, get actual measurements for things you buy online. They definitely...