or Connect

Posts by romafan

My views on economics are obviously not as informed or as enlightened as yours, but I'm not sure this is the case, Chains can afford these spots b/c of the economic power of the parent company. They can take a $$$ hit for a while and still survive, and they're willing to make the investment in order to have a presence in such a potentially lucrative market. They sell more stuff (DR just about everything) and can bring in more $$$ than say an old fashioned coffee shop or...
What does it mean (in the context of this forum) when someone "gives you reputation" ()
sorry for the touchy-feely wording - blogger's (along w/ 'hyper-gentrification) description but i think it is apt. also agree that market forces will dictate what a spot is worth and if mom&pop can't pay then they will likely be forced out. but i don't agree that people are voting w/ their wallets - what's driving the market is who can afford to pay the astronomical rents - m&p can't, but i don't think that means what people want are the businesses that can,yes,...
yes, some old stuff should go, that is the way of the world - 1/2 of manhattan should not be farms. moss's point is that natural growth/evolution should come about 'organically' - things fade out when there is no longer a use or market for them, lots of viable businesses (not just old run down stuff) are being forced to close down because they can't afford a quintupling rent increase. a lot of the new stuff coming in (chains, box stores, bank branches, luxury brands) is...
http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/This is a good blog tracking hyper-gentrification. It will sadden you....
This is a fantastic horsehide jacket from Lost Worlds that is languishing in my closet. Size 40 in four+ oz. heavy black horsehide in a classic design. I the think the Suburban is Lost Worlds' best-looking model. Topnotch hardware, heavyweight black nylon satin lining. The jacket is essentially new, and is not broken in yet! I think these are approaching $1200 now...A badass jacket at a big discount! * More pix available upon request
No, it would just be this single trip. And Montana is the destination. I think we've halved the estimate by looking around (and are approaching the 'doable' range). Sounds like we'll need to refuel. Still would love to hear any and all suggestions or recommendations.
Air down here (downtown) quite smoky - fire/explosion/bldg collapse 2nd & St Marks....
All info appreciated - TY
Glad we cleared that up! Now what information do you have?