or Connect

Posts by Mr. Clean

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. White I said that modern life is LESS HEALTHY and by an enormous margin. This statement is false by almost any standard.
Quote: Originally Posted by edinatlanta also this is the front of the house, landlord planted the colorful plants. What's the colorful tree?
Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek Merkel's decision was nothing short of idiotic. A strong anti-nuclear movement has existed in Germany for more than four decades. It was at its height in the late 80s and has recently re-surged in the wake of Fukushima. In my opinion, the public in Germany has not discussed nuclear energy rationally for a long time now. Merkel's move was seen by many as a concession to the public's anti-nuclear sentiment...
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS Please don't tell me this mileage tax will extend to motor yachts and private planes! That would hit Haley Barbour and me where it hurts. Why, you commute to work on your yacht? It's a very bad idea for all the obvious reasons pointed out already.
Quote: Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace Things get almost impossibly complex when we try to figure out why people do the things they do, and how their beliefs (in this instance religion) fit in. I agree. You rightly point out that reality is much more complex and "messy" than my simple argument. Of course it is. The argument is still sound, in my opinion. Quote: Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace This is not...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire However, I want to say it was sufficiently wordy. Always trying to please.
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Further, if you can make a distinction between atheists and atheism, you can do that same for religion and religionists [..] It seems that I have not been able to convey my argument, so I will try to reiterate. Certainly a concept, you called it a "though construct", can be separated from the actions of human beings. A concept can be examined as to whether or not it is found to be morally objectionable or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire [...] and ask if "religion itself" has caused harm. I would say it has not, because unless you have people to carry out the tenets of the religion, it cannot enact a single action. I'm not sure whether this is meant to be serious, but if it was, it would be a highly unusual line of argumentation that would seemingly limit any discussion of values and morals to a point where I doubt it would have much...
Quote: Originally Posted by montecristo#4 I'm as atheist as they come bu tthe idea of promoting the absense of something just seems stupid to me. This has been mentioned by others and myself before in this thread, but there is a difference between being an atheist and being anti-religious. People advocate against religion because they think it harmful, not simply because they are atheists. Certainly there are a great number of atheists who do...
Quote: Originally Posted by tagutcow It's a non-point. A person born in a Christian environment is likely to grow up harboring Christian beliefs, and a person born into an Islamic environment is likely to grow up harboring Islamic beliefs, and a person born into an atheist environment is likely to grow up harboring atheist beliefs. It proves absolutely nothing about the veracity of the underlying belief. As abrasive Maher and the OP may be, I...