or Connect

Posts by the formalist

I recall just coming across it just this morning near the start of War and Peace about the European powers' attitude to Napoleon: 'The Sovereigns! Why, they are sending out Ambassadors to compliment The Usurper.' I love how shrillly it reads, esp. with the definite article - sounds like Satan.
Of all the ready to wear shirt companies I've tried in London, Lewin's shirts offer the best balance of fabric thickness and quality, slim-fittedness, collar spread and sturdiness I've seen apart from Turnbull and Asser which retail from £175. That's before factoring in price - you can often get Lewin shirts for £20 a go, which is astonishing value. Their fabrics blow away the other diffusion line Jermyn street brands - Pink whose prices are extortionate, and...
Thanks, and patrick, You're right that there will always be contrast issues. The only saving grace would be low-light evening events where the difference might not be obvious. I'll just have to see what comes my way before its first outing. I happen, though, to have a pair of plaid pants in a bold-checked pearl grey flannel for high-enough contrast, which would be quite an economical solution for me, much as it comes far out of left-field in the propriety stakes. Still,...
This is a hard finish charcoal worsted with tight pinstripes in light grey, matched with fresco pants the same color. It's DB and has all 3 patch pockets. Attachment 54311 The Question: Are there matching pants hanging in my wardrobe?
Dear , This afternoon I bought a 50s/60s black dinner jacket orphaned from its pants. I'm wondering how to make up a full rig on a budget. The options I've come up with so far are: 1) just hope to find pants in a similar used heavy unfinished worsted in a 30" waist by thrifting around London; 2) get some made up from scratch (but it would be from a new bolt of fabric and might look v. different...); 3) find or make a pair of white flannel pants, as I read has...
here's the hilarious link: http://fuckyeahmenswear.tumblr.com/p...gosphere-in-80 whoever this poet is rips it out of all the gq golden calves. barbed quot.: 'You probably think I'm going fishing with a cooler full of Heinies. Channeling DJ Paulie Newman on some Life Magazine archive type shit. Think again. ... It took me 15 minutes to get this bandanna right. You think I'm gonna fuck that shit up by doing any manual labor disguised as a hobby?' for...
well-dressed? Attachment 50320 (the jacket's pinstripes and patch pockets have come out in the wash, it seems.)