or Connect

Posts by Dempsy444

I had a black peak lapel suit made, not midnight blue. I think only the stodgiest of the English would consider it a parody but of course they think the tux is a parody of the morning coat, and I dare you to wear a morning coat;) Here in the States I think people moved beyond this mindset years ago. In fact, in my city of San Francisco, people would rather see you in a well fitted black suit than in a tux. There are plenty of evening functions here where a black suit fits...
I'd be curious to hear about your experience with T&A when it is finished. I do recall them having a great selection of cloth but got some bad feedback from a number of people on them being a bit of hassle to work with so went with AC instead. Hopefully that has all changed and things are smooth now. For your reference, AC shipped my first shirt about 12 days after commissioning it. I had one small adjustment to the cuff , and it took them about 10 more days to...
Why not just Mohair?
I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you're looking to spend less than $2k then Canali makes a sharp tux. If you start getting above $3k in you search, and some of names you listed will easily get you above that ( including RL) , then you should elect to tack on a little more and go with Despos. He'll do it right and you'll feel great in it. If you're concerned that you won't wear the tux enough to justify the price then you could go with a black or...
Definitely a NO on the pajama suit. Props for my best man. He came up with the idea of renting a race track and taking ferarris around it. A great experience for a group. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than it sounds. http://exoticsracing.com
Yeah, m2m thru department stores in general is a bad idea. Early on, I once had a pair of m2m Armani pants made thru Bloomingdales but the sales guy measured in inches and the Italian factory made it to measure in centimeters. When it arrived 3 months later I could barely slip it over my knees.
They do have a bit of that Bostonian frump though they have gotten better. To Boot NY has a more modern hip look but isn't as well made as A. Edmonds. Another option at a similar price point is A. Testoni.
A friend of mine's shirts look like the photo you posted and he wears Hugo Boss. He has a muscular build and I think he just matches up well with boss's block pattern. In general though you just need to find a good alterations tailor. He/she can eliminate a lotnof the bag. Whatever shirt you pick just make sure the shoulders fit well as that is the one area they won't be able to alter. The RTW shirts I have luck with are Kiton. I have them altered and they fit...
Barney's/Hamton is M2M and while its a good store and Hamilton is a good maker it's a far cry from bespoke. In Bespoke the tailor should take your measurements and make the changes himself or oversee his staff make them. To answer your question, I don't think you will have much input for the tailor on measurements but you can express preferences like a slim fit, a high arm hole, leaner in the chest, or maybe you like it fuller. You just need to be clear about this stuff...
I've never used Chan and didn't realize their process worked this way. I know they have a good reputation and the prices are much less than the bespoke I've had elsewhere. A colleague of mine wears Chan and his suits are very well fitted and proprtioned though i don't see much shaping. Overall, from what I've seen it is pretty impressive for the money. If you don't have a high quality bespoke option in your area then Chan makes sense. Realistically, they'll probably make...