or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

Didn't get a chance to check back here before I hit Soho, so I didn't know to stop by Self Edge. Did, however, hit Blue in Green. Great little store. Ten minutes is all it took to score a very nice pair of Eternal pre-washed raw selvedge jeans. Excellent fit, look great. Never heard of "Eternal," but I'm impressed. Thanks for your help people!
In NY on business today and need a pair of jeans. Looking or slim-fit, straight legged jeans (33 waist plus or minus one inch depending upon the make and model and 32 length). Very dark indigo preferred and I don't want to buy jeans that have that artificial dstressed look. Money no real object but I don't want to blow dough just for the sake of it. If the extra money buys me a really superior-fitting jean, then fine. I know little about jeans (have no idea how...
Quote: Originally Posted by elgreco You're going to take what this idiot says seriously? Quote: Originally Posted by Salad Who is Greg Proops? Another fashion blogger? Why should anyone care what he thinks? I guess I should google him to find out but I don't care enough. Never heard of him before, but the interview with Proops suggests that the guy has a lot of pesonal style. That's what gave me...
In the March issue of the British Esquire, Greg Proops says "I live in Hollywood, where grown men wear white trousers. You should wear white trousers on only two occaisions: one, if you sell ice cream and two, never." Is there any basis to this in the concordat of classic men's style, or is this just "style according to Proops"? I've never before heard this admonition so I suspect the latter. If so, any of you agree?
Quote: Originally Posted by zbromer Soho is about the last place I'd imagine people wearing black chinos. Quote: Originally Posted by sellahi22 How do you know they were chinos and not dark grey or black wool trousers? Quote: Originally Posted by Loathing black jeans are very popular in those hip environments sometimes you get skinny/slim chinos that are a sort of jean/chino hybrid casual fit black...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightbringer I'm not a fan. You might, of course, wear them in some sort of streetwear fashion but they have no real place as items of classical menswear. They make you look like a waiter if worn with a shirt. So the trick is to wear black chinos without a shirt? I'll give that a try ....
Quote: Originally Posted by a tailor black trousers are worn by, waiters, buss boys, washroom attendants, and security guards. and not by gentle men. ... and by, apparently, pretty much everybody in Soho last weekend while I was staying at the Soho Grand. Good god - I was the only man wearing any color! Felt like a farmer.
They seem to be pretty trendy these days. Anything wrong with black chinos and a white shirt? Black chinos and a black shirt? That seems to be about all you can do with black chinos. So I guess the reall question is how do we feel about black/black and black/white looks? And for the sake of argument, let's posit that our skin tone works with black and that we're in "hip" urban environments where black is the rule and not the exception. Let's also posit (not that we...
Quote: Originally Posted by TTO I like the shirt/suit combo, and the tie, though not my taste, works quite well with it. I think a tie with more texture, or a subtle pattern would work better...the pocket square seems to bright to me, maybe better for a sports coat/ more casual fit, though I applaud your industrious use of spare cloth...mine usually goes the same way...or gets turned into bow-ties! -TTO I too very much like the shirt/tie/suit...
Quote: Originally Posted by Orgetorix Props to harvey_birdman, who takes the prize for technological gimmickry away from NOBD! Yeah, that was pretty awesome. It would take me days to figure out how to set that sort of thing up though. Nothing personal, but you guys aren't worth that kind of time and energy!