or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

Thanks for the kind words re the choices. It feels ridiculous to plan this all out to such an extent, but my experience has been that - if you don't - you end up with an ill-considered collection of ties that fall short in all kinds of ways. And since I want to spend my money efficiently, I want to make sure that the $130 I spend on tie x couldn't have been better spent on tie z ... and that the ties I buy will get their fair share of wear. I'm not an archivist dammit...
As part of my recent sartorial awakening, I’ve had to toss the bulk of my gaudy Robert Talbott ties (the foundation of my old necktie rotation) and start anew. This is not a light financial or aesthetic undertaking, but it is an interesting intellectual exercise. I thought I would share with you how one man has strategically reconstructed his tie wardrobe from (near) scratch. I have decided on a one-month rotation. Since my workplace is afflicted with the infernal...
Yeah, we can't have that.
Would look better with a BD.
It wasn't a DB, so no, you were not a Goober. But given the aggregation of sartorial oddities associated with that outfit, you may well have been Goober's cousin - Gomer. Can't know for sure unless you would be so kind as to post a photo.
OK, unless Manton's going to jump in here, the balance of the argument is with those who give the midnight blue a thumbs up for business wear. Now ... what about a 30% mohair fabric to give it a little sheen for the night club. Is that a sartorial bridge too far? Or is the suit still wearable for business?
By the way, those are some big-a**ed pant cuffs you've got there Foo. How many inches are we talking about?
Quote: I understand what you're saying, but I think it's pretty easy to tell when a guy knows what he's doing. Conversely, it's pretty easy to tell when a guy doesn't know what he's doing. These days, the gulf between the two is so wide that those collar buttons are even tinier than they were before, if you take my meaning. If Vox, say, walked into your office wearing a DB with a BD and a bowtie, I imagine the fit of his suit, the quality of his shoes, and his...
Quote: In this day and age, I can't imagine anyone wearing a stylish, well-fitting DB would be mistaken for a goober from anywhere, regardless of the shirt collar. The simple fact that that the suit fit correctly would put the wearer a notch above 99 percent of the population. Agreed Doc. But being better-dressed than 99% of the population is not a particularly high standard these days, now is it? Quote: If a guy's clothes fit correctly...
If you are a "winter" in the old Color Me Beautiful lexicon - or a "clear" in the new iteration of the same - then you are a guy who'll look great in high-contrast color combos. Dark hair and swarthy, olive-toned skin .... or dark hair with very light skin. Hell, black hair with whatever skin will probably do it. If you are an African-American, then the darker your skin, the better high-contrast combos will look on you. So that's what Will is saying. Midnight blue is...