or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

That f*cking sit-com did more to kill classical men's style than anything else I can think of. It took out the classic navy blazer, the ascot .... damn!
Quote: Solid black? How do you use that? A powder blue shirt and solid black tie goes with absolutely everything. Everything! You can also wear it with a pink shirt and grey suit. Or a white shirt and copper camel hair jacket. Or white shirt and marine blue, royal blue, or french blue suit. Easier to ask, "how can't you use that"? If you're too put-off by the funereal connotations of a solid silk black tie, try...
WOW! Those Chans look pretty damn Huntsman to me! So there's you're answer. Chan.
Sure - Ben Silver, Drakes, Ben Silver, Drakes, and Brooks Brothers respectively. Of course, you already knew that, didn't you? Four other ties are struggling to find their way into my rotation and I'm having a hard time keeping them out. This orange & blue foulard is surprisingly sharp with either blue or grey suits. And these two repp ties (the Sherwood Foresters regimental - perfect for my midnight blue suit - and the 11th Hussars regimental and the Queen's Royal...
There's a photo floating around here somewhere of a guy in a charcoal grey chalk stripe suit, a wider-striped navy on white shirt, and a navy blue bow tie with polka dots. It is hands-down the most sophisticated look I have ever seen. I've been reproducing that combo in general terms ever since. Another great look is charcoal grey chalk stripe, a tighter-striped shirt, and a block repp tie. Both Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart wore that combo in The Philadelphia Story...
Yeah, the fitting rooms are wild!
Cornish Countrywear ... for the well-dressed farmer.
That was the price quoted to me last fall when Alan & Friends were in DC for a trunk show. For what it's worth, his shop is now staffed with what appear to be topless waitresses from the nearby Manhattan Hooters.
$4,200 for bespoken two piece suit with average cloth.
And while I'm on the topic, pp. 106-7 tell us about the glories of spread collars. The photo used to illustrate the point, however, simply illustrates that the editors are free-basing crack during office hours. The collar on this guy is so small as to be virtually non-existant ... which is made doubly-bad by the fact that the guy's face is fairly big and round. Mr. No-Collar is wearing a striped shirt, a pin striped suit, and a paisley tie. Nothing wrong with that....