or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

How do we feel about his look on the cover; charcoal grey flannel-looking odd coat, mid-grey flannel-looking trousers, and a cream OCBD? A charcoal grey flannel odd coat for the winter has never occured to me, but I must admit that it looks quite sharp and modern - more so than would a navy blazer, the standard odd coat with that look. No need to rip the stupid pose (which is granted, but not the point).
Pulled the trigger today. My tailor - William Field of Washington, DC - made a persuasive case for Harrisons' 14 oz mid-gray flannel rather than the Minnis. He thought the Harrisons would hold up better and looked better as well (the difference, to my eyes, were very marginal). Regardless, the need for a pair of trousers that could wear comfortably up to 60 degrees inclined me to go a bit south of the 17 oz fabric. I decided to hold off on the other commissions (light...
Looks great. Do you find that fabric warm enough for you during the colder months of the winter?
Lots of good suggestions, thanks. It appears that 14 oz is the right weight for me. Another pair of trousers I"m interested in is a black & cream shepherd's check flannel. Any suggestions?
Wish I could say whether heavy flannel trousers would run too hot or not, but I've never owned a pair, so I don't know. All I have is a pair of worsted flannels at around 11 oz and that's inadequate to tell. In general, I seem to run a little cold.
I am planning on commissioning a couple of flannel trousers - a mid-grey and a charcoal grey - and would like some suggestions regarding fabric. I need these trousers to cover all of the colder months (fall through spring) in Washington, DC. While I suspect that, in a perfect world, I would have light-to-mid-weight flannel trousers for the shoulder seasons and heavier flannel trousers for the winter, we don't like in that (fiscally) perfect world. But in any event,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuttingboard Washington DC - Georges de Paris - Tailor to the Presidents. Article about Georges de Paris I would be careful with this "tailor to the presidents" thing. How many of these commissions involved an actual appointment for measurements, fittings, and then delivery, versus, say, a blind job and a suit in the mail without even a commission to justify the time or expense (but an ability to advertise...
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidWatts Hi guys, Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it. Quick request: I think we have a great, diverse list of custom/MTM tailors going here. But I suspect that I'll need to round it out with more tailors who excel at alterations. If you have any additional recommendations on that front--i.e., tailors who can be trusted to alter a suit or shirt--please send them along. Thanks...
It's 9.5 oz. And this stuff if really expensive relative to most woolen fabrics.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ianiceman So you don't want to look like you came staright from the office, but you're considering a contrast collar and cuffs 'bank manager' shirt? Interesting! Yeah, that just occurred to me. Good point. Quote: Originally Posted by Ianiceman IMO there's really no such thing as a tonic black suit so it may work well. Anything but the bank manager suit. "Tonik" is a classic mohair...