or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

Quote: Bespoke is no guarantee of perfect fit, styling, anything. Neither is OTR. Just about everything has to be adjusted a bit by an in-house tailor, so you're just as subject to the whims of the needle man as you are with bespoke. You can get the style you want, but that doesn't make it perfect in any existential sense. Exhibit A - all those people walking around in PeeWee Herman suits. But if you mean you can at least reliably get the look...
Quote: How is the nordstrom's book? Crap. Not total crap, mind you, but just about anything else in this genre is better. Nothing at all is between those covers that isn't covered far, far better by other authors. And there's a fair amount of rather dubious style advice that reflects everything you see around you today. That shouldn't surprise. Nordstrom's is in the business of selling to the largest number of upper middle-class people possible...
Quote: I liked Men's Style by Russell Smith. I have that. It's good and I was indeed tempted to add it to my list, but it's in direct competition with Flusser, Roetzel, and Keres ... all of whom offer soup-to-nuts introductory books that are, in my opinion, better. Unless you are in your 20s that is. If you are - and you're not necessarily wedded to "classical style" - then Smith is probably better for you, particularly if you are just starting...
Quote: It is somewhat outdated now, but Dress for Success is a worthwhile read. If nothing else, it is unintentionally funny No need to buy the book. If you want to dress in a way that gives the least amount of offense while capturing the greatest amount of respect, turn on CNN, see what the politicians are wearing, and dress like them. They are wearing what countless focus groups and psychologists report as the most successful ensembles at...
The OP already has The Suit. It's right there on the stack. Yes, it's a fine book, drape fetish and all.
I think it looks like the Nipsy Russel plaid, but I could be mistaken.
Save for the Nordstrom book, you've got a good, solid collection there. You'll find the most value at the margin from the following tomes in descending order of utility: Francois Chaille, The Book of Ties (Flammarian, 1994). There isn't a lot to know about suits when it comes right down to it. There are only a few choices to make and it's pretty easy to navigate those choices with the books you have. But how to best match a shirt and tie - particularly the tie! - with...
Quote: I'm not sure I know what Brioni quality is, but are you saying you can replicate the quality + a perfect fit, with the caliber fabrics of a 6K Brioni suit for 2K? If so, where? Joseph Centofanti in Philidelphia could almost certainly produce a Brioni clone - or something better - and he's $2,700 with standard cloth. Make him get equivalent cloth and the price goes up, but certainly not to $6k. Google him - many consider him one of the best.
Don't remember. He was a younger guy ... looked like in his late 20s.
What about juggling clowns? How many of those?