or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

I'm not sure what I think of a royal blue suit. I am toying with the idea of putting one in my rotation, but it sure is an arresting color - perhaps too arresting. I don't want to scare the children. Thoughts on royal blue?
Quote: Sun Tailor at Tyson's Corner is good. I brought in about a half-dozen Hickey Freeman suits that I had recently inherited to Sun a few months ago. Each time I went to pick them up, I found that the collar either was standing up from the neck or bunching up under the neck. And each time, the owner was telling me that they fit just fine. Four times I went to pick them up and then turned them back over to Sun because they simply did not fit in...
What I liked best about Flusser's Dressing the Man is his theory about the suit and proportion. Why shouldn't we wear extreme silhouettes? Because it is clear to those who see you in that big-shouldered / skinny looking thing that that isn't you, it's a costume, and one appears to be trying to hard to be something one's not when one is wearing a costume. Why should shoulders only be so big - lapels be such a size - and the gorge and button stance be here rather than...
Quote: I agree with you, for the most part. I think what you're proposing is a pretty practical approach that will work well for most guys. But I do think it's possible to be too cautious. If a guy chooses to wear slightly narrow lapels and his trou are a normal length, no one's going to bat an eyelid. It's not that hard to avoid the more ridiculous extremes of fashion, and common sense is a pretty good guide. Every lapel needn't be exactly halfway across your...
Quote: What we have here is a classic case of someone who has read a lot of books on clothes, and so honestly believes that everything is set in stone, I do not believe that everything (style-wise) is set in stone. Quote: and that there is a definite 'right' and a definite 'wrong'. On some things, yes. On others, no. I say that leisure suits and Pee-Wee Herman-style Thom Browne suits are deeply, fundamentally wrong. Your...
I'm dead serious. There is plenty of academic work finding common denominators across cultures regarding things like judgments about what is beautiful and what is ugly, what is attractive and what is unattractive, etc. Some may look at Pee-Wee Herman and the suit and say - "Cool, I've GOT to have that!" Of that I do not doubt. Most people, however, would have a quite opposite reaction. That's not because we've been brainwashed by our culture to prefer this rather...
natch
Quote: More than 70 years ago. Just imagine if people in 1936 had insisted that the only correct clothes were those worn in 1860. Yet if you read Apparel Arts and other such publications of the '30s, they were all about the latest trends and looking ... fashionable. The clothes of that period were very much the fashion of their day, and they represented a dramatic departure from the clothes worn only a couple decades earlier. The Duke of Windsor, perhaps the...
Some would argue to the contrary.
A topless female sales force.