or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

I have blue & ecru and maroon & silver gingham ties, both of which look pretty much like this. What sort of patterned shirt can I wear with these ties? An equally small pattern on the shirt would likely hurt my eyes. That suggests a larger pattern is in order. But what? And if I wanted to triple-pattern with a moderately spaced chalk stripe suit, what suggestions might you have? Or should one abandon all hopes of patterned shirts with these sorts of ties?
Quote: I'm not sure about white bucks, but other light-colored clothing would be excellent. Why not the bucks? Are you anti-buck or anti-resort-wear-in-February-buck?
I'm going to a Palm Beach resort for a couple of weeks next Thursday. I believe that one can safely wear white (and other light colors) when at a beach resort during the winter, but I thought I'd check to make sure it does not violate the "no white after Labor Day" rule. So, can one bring the white linen pants, the white bucks, etc? Or are they best left at home until summer?
Not all of the ties they've put on sale are promoted on the four-page "sale ties and bows" part of the webpage. Others seemed to be scattered around - you'll simply notice the lower price if you click on the tie and get lucky. I found a couple I liked this way and they're being boxed as we speak. Love the Drake.
Quote: Is this the colour you were thinking of Yes. Quote: It works well in linen. Yes it does. But can you wear that color (or something close to it) in heavier wool during cold weather months?
So what would we call that color? Air Force blue?
Here's Luca di Montezemolo in a royal blue. Here's Luca with a fellow on the left in a royal blue. Another shot of Luca and "the man in the royal blue suit". Yann Debelle de Montby in maybe something just a smidge darker than the standard royal blue but close enough that I think it counts. These all look pretty good to me. These are royal blue suits, aren't they? Or have I got the wrong color? Of course, I just might be tasteless.
I'm not sure what I think of a royal blue suit. I am toying with the idea of putting one in my rotation, but it sure is an arresting color - perhaps too arresting. I don't want to scare the children. Thoughts on royal blue?
Quote: Sun Tailor at Tyson's Corner is good. I brought in about a half-dozen Hickey Freeman suits that I had recently inherited to Sun a few months ago. Each time I went to pick them up, I found that the collar either was standing up from the neck or bunching up under the neck. And each time, the owner was telling me that they fit just fine. Four times I went to pick them up and then turned them back over to Sun because they simply did not fit in...
What I liked best about Flusser's Dressing the Man is his theory about the suit and proportion. Why shouldn't we wear extreme silhouettes? Because it is clear to those who see you in that big-shouldered / skinny looking thing that that isn't you, it's a costume, and one appears to be trying to hard to be something one's not when one is wearing a costume. Why should shoulders only be so big - lapels be such a size - and the gorge and button stance be here rather than...