or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

Wish I could say whether heavy flannel trousers would run too hot or not, but I've never owned a pair, so I don't know. All I have is a pair of worsted flannels at around 11 oz and that's inadequate to tell. In general, I seem to run a little cold.
I am planning on commissioning a couple of flannel trousers - a mid-grey and a charcoal grey - and would like some suggestions regarding fabric. I need these trousers to cover all of the colder months (fall through spring) in Washington, DC. While I suspect that, in a perfect world, I would have light-to-mid-weight flannel trousers for the shoulder seasons and heavier flannel trousers for the winter, we don't like in that (fiscally) perfect world. But in any event,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuttingboard Washington DC - Georges de Paris - Tailor to the Presidents. Article about Georges de Paris I would be careful with this "tailor to the presidents" thing. How many of these commissions involved an actual appointment for measurements, fittings, and then delivery, versus, say, a blind job and a suit in the mail without even a commission to justify the time or expense (but an ability to advertise...
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidWatts Hi guys, Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it. Quick request: I think we have a great, diverse list of custom/MTM tailors going here. But I suspect that I'll need to round it out with more tailors who excel at alterations. If you have any additional recommendations on that front--i.e., tailors who can be trusted to alter a suit or shirt--please send them along. Thanks...
It's 9.5 oz. And this stuff if really expensive relative to most woolen fabrics.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ianiceman So you don't want to look like you came staright from the office, but you're considering a contrast collar and cuffs 'bank manager' shirt? Interesting! Yeah, that just occurred to me. Good point. Quote: Originally Posted by Ianiceman IMO there's really no such thing as a tonic black suit so it may work well. Anything but the bank manager suit. "Tonik" is a classic mohair...
Just had my new, 90% mohair tonik black suit delivered from my tailor (William Field - pics to come) and I'm now ready to hit urban night spots in markedly better style than was the case yesterday. But what shirt to wear when in, say, a night club? I want to signal hip, fun, and style while standing out. My initial thoughts are (a) grey stripes on a white ground shirt with white collar and white french cuffs, (b) some bold multi-colored striped shirt, or (c) some...
I don't want to buy blind and would like to try some on first, but ... damn, where do you find this stuff? The only place I could find was Barney's Coop in Georgetown and their selection of the former was very thin and they didn't carry the latter. Hoping to pick up some trunks for the weekend. Any suggestions?
OK, since he's in the news again, anyone have any experience with him or seen his work close-up? Will Field gets a reasonable amount of attention here, but not this "tailor of presidents." Why? If any of you do have any experience with him, what's his house style, quality of work, etc?
Didn't get a chance to check back here before I hit Soho, so I didn't know to stop by Self Edge. Did, however, hit Blue in Green. Great little store. Ten minutes is all it took to score a very nice pair of Eternal pre-washed raw selvedge jeans. Excellent fit, look great. Never heard of "Eternal," but I'm impressed. Thanks for your help people!