or Connect

Posts by J. Cogburn

Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Not a fan here. The shoulders appear to be extremely wide and the coat looks out of balance. The shirt color is too dark, the collar is too small and has no roll. The tie I don't like at all. I just don't like complex paisleys. I like paisleys to be small and simple. As it happens I have on a blue BD today with a yellow(ish) paisley tie. Can't post pics until later. The foibles of a...
Guess I must play. Popped this in WAYWRN a moment ago.
Suit - RLBL charcoal sharkskin Shirt - Brooks Bros. Tie - Drakes [IMG][/IMG]
Quote: Originally Posted by Bounder Just hilarious. Your ascot probably clashed with your pocket square. Classic rookie mistake. No pocket square accompanied the ascot. No jacket at all that day ... a day that will live in infamy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bounder I agree with Manton that odd jackets are never CBD but for a different reason. Suits are, in some sense, effortless. The pants a jackets already match when you get them. But odd jackets require more thought and, though less formal, strike people in a casual atmosphere as more elaborate and, therefore, more dandyfied. You might throw on a suit because you have to and do it without really thinking. But you wear an odd...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton It's good. I am not in love with the tone of the tie. And, of course, smoking is bad for you. This that latter comment is news to the smoker? Don't hector.
Quote: Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix I can't tell you how much I hate that tie. OK, I could tell you, but I won't. Putting that aside, the socks and shoes take you out of CBD country faster than the speed of light.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton A bit too much going on here. It looks fine from a distance but up close it appears a bit busy. Now, the patterns, in terms of scale and differentiation, are combined quite well. I think I am put off by my dislike of the square and tie. The former I just don't like. Agreed. Paisleys work best when they are larger leaving less ground. Smaller paisley for whatever reason are half-hearted and limp. If...
Quote: Originally Posted by edmorel greg, that is a great shirt collar and you tone the pattern down really well with the tie and suit. Not crazy about the shoe style/color but i have moved into Manton's "old man" camp where I have moved away from U last and it's ilk and going for more rounder toes. something that I think some people here don't get is how to not overdue patterns/colors, some here would have paired that with a wild tie, patterned suit...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I don't know if it's time or place but I see a lot of squares in Manhattan these days. Six years ago when I moved back here, I remember seeing very few. I saw close to none in DC. Where I worked there, no one wore them except me and one other guy who was a huge A&S customer. His attire drew a lot of comments. My boss sometimes remarked on my squares. I have never had anyone say anything about brown shoes. I...