or Connect

Posts by Matt S

I know what he meant. Americans use the terms "bal" and "blucher" to differentiate between open and close lacing. Alden & AE have used the term oxford to be any lace-up shoe long before the internet existed. Oxford simply means something different to Americans than it does to the British, just as suspenders and pants are different to the Americans. None of these are recent changes. Where do we draw the line with misuse compared to the development of regional differences?
Sorry, I meant "jacketing". But nobody has a car?
But this isn't so recent. Americans have used the term "oxford" for a lace-up shoe at least since the 1960s. Americans have the term "balmoral" for what the British call an Oxford. This to me is more of a regional difference than a semantic drift. How far back does the current usage of "suiting" go?
It's not just businesses that use it but also magazines and newspapers in their articles about suits. Whenever I read a New York Times article about men's style these days they always mention "suiting".
The term "suiting", of course, refers to the cloth a suit is made from, just as jackets are made from jacking and shirts are made from shirting. This I've known for a long time. But over the past few years, I've seen the term used as a collective noun for suits. It seems as if half of the websites that sell suits have now changed their wording from "suits" to "suiting". Is this actually correct usage of the term? Is this a new thing of this decade, or has "suiting" always...
Keep in mind that sarcasm can't always be easy to read. There's no tone of voice in a written message. And maybe you're a Ted Cruz fan who doesn't want to hear any criticism about him. Or maybe you hate him and you don't want him to know he looks like a fool in his suit.
What seams are there to let out? Just the rear centre seam, I imagine. Going ventless doesn't work because then the front is always pulled open and is rumpled because the jacket can't fit around my hips. Double vents that slightly open look better than ventless jackets that are too tight around my hips.So MTM/bespoke is my only option? This is a problem I have with almost every jacket I try on, except for some very high-end brands I can't afford (like Tom Ford). The skirt...
I have a problem with double vents not staying closed. Single vents are even worse. I'm a slim guy with large hips. Is there any alteration that can fix this? Any seams that can be let out? I once had a tailor attach a strip of lining from the two side panels under the vent flap to keep that area closed, but then it pulls open the front and causes rumples in the front.
Thanks! There's not much to dislike about Lazenby's suits.. They fit well, and they are neither too trendy nor too old-fashioned. The can fit in well with today's fashion trends, but they still respect the shape of the human male body.
If you're still interested in reading about Dimi Major, my article on him is up now: http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/d-major-bespoke-tailors-ohmss-style/