or Connect

Posts by Matt S

There is no rule that the bow tie and cummerbund must match, but when they don't match the bow tie has to be black, or dark enough midnight blue that is looks black. If it's that dark it needs to match the cummerbund. So go with the black pre-tied.
This is good advice. To expand on it:The wing collar shirt mentioned above is the only one that should take single link cuffs. This shirt also must take studs, if that wasn't a given. It's a white tie shirt and what was originally worn with black tie until soft shirts started to become popular in the 1930s. By the 1940s it wasn't as typical to wear this type of shirt with black tie. I find this type of shirt too fussy for black tie and a wing collar shirt to be more like...
I don't appreciate the sarcasm. All I can say is that people in the US and in the UK don't call single cuffs simply "link cuffs." Any other people I've talked to outside of those two countries has been only online.
I wouldn't recommend stealing Brooks Brothers' names. Medium spread would be a good name for your "cutaway." If you call it a medium spread, "wide spread" might still make sense for your cutaway collar.
"Single link cuffs" on these forums is most typical, but I've heard them called just "single cuffs" as well. Link cuffs can be either single or double. I've been communicating with people about clothes online for 8 years and I've never heard of "link cuff" used anywhere to only apply to single cuffs.
It is called a single link cuff to differentiate it from the more common double link cuff, usually just called a double cuff or French cuff. Just "link cuff" doesn't necessarily mean it's a single cuff.
I too noticed they call a spread collar a "cutaway" and a cutaway collar a "spread". It's indeed confusing when they call things the wrong names. When I ordered shirts from them a few years ago I got the large cutaway collar, which is a great classic spread with my perfect proportions. The only thing I don't like about the collar is how the band isn't angled or curved down in front.
I don't see the point when I can just open my closet or my drawers. Everything is sorted so I know where everything is. I've made a list of things I'd like to get, and I have digitised catalogues of other things. But I've never done it with my wardrobe.
Those "chambray" shirts look like end-on-end, not chambray.
Pretty much everyone puts 4 buttons on everything now. Some Italian tailors like 3 buttons, and a few English tailors also do three. Some American do 2, and in the 60s it was popular to have only 1 button on the sleeves. There are no rules to this. Make sure the sleeve length is perfect before the buttonholes are made. Some people get the suit shipped with the buttonholes already in, and that's a big mistake.