or Connect

Posts by Patek14

That poster was me - I compiled the tear downsHere it is, take a look: http://www.styleforum.net/t/415186/shoe-dissection-allen-edmonds-john-lobb-bostonian-and-moreI think the main takeaway is when you go to the best of the best, you'll step up in quality, but you see diminishing returns. I view the next tier up from AE being things such as Alden, Crockett, etc. Unfortunately, you need to remember that is a 35-50% uptick in MSRP and its not exactly hard to get AE's a lot...
Very interesting. This is the first time I've heard the word "veiny"! Does this mean crease lines formed or do you detect some vein lines / mild extrusions in the skin where the veins were?Also, when you say "the insole goes half way down", does that mean there is a 2-peice construction on the insole on the portion you can see? (i.e., part of it is a liner or something?)
I'm going to ignore anything about style, fashion, brand image, etc. The simple problem is merging high quality & synthetic in the same sentence, as nobody really has experience with this because:1. I'm not sure it even exists2. If it does (i.e., good synthetic leather), then it would have to be bespoke because no high-quality shoemaker would use those materials. I doubt anybody on this forum has asked what you are askingTo have truly vegan soles, you'd need to swap so...
Can anybody help me out on my questions? I didn't see any Meermin factory tour / how its made videos on YouTube. The exterior of their classic collections looks great on the website, but the longevity of the shoes will boil down to what is inside
Those JLs are out of my range and those Banana Republics are below my range. I was very interested in the dissection between the AE's, J&Ms, and Bostonians. What I found most interested was the corners J&M and Bostonian cut with their goodyear welt models, such as: 1. Excessive use of paper/cardboard or cellulose board 2. Rubber welts! 3. Lots of foam, eww 4. canvas lining Now, I recognize to a elite bespoke shoe-maker, GY welt with non-feather insoles (is that the...
Was that really after 2 wears?Do you land on your toes or something? How rapidly has toe-sole areas worns on other shoes for you? I'm hard on shoes but for me, that looks like at least 12-18 days of use
I have a few questions, as I am "new to meermin". For 160 Euro / $210 USD (classic collection), a goodyear welted shoe seems too good to be true. From the pictures, they come with Dainite soles or beautifully waxed concealed channel leather soles?!! 1. How is the quality of the leather upper? Is it full grain? 2. What is the insole made of? Is it a single-layer thick piece of leather or a layered composite? 3. Is the layer between the insole/outsole corked or...
Anybody look through these?
I was surfing the web (curious about the topic) and his the jackpot. Seems like a poster named Lordpoint is about the coolest person ever and chopped up a ton of shoes, including AEs, JLs, J&Ms, and a few others. I've aggregated his dissections below. It'll take you a while to look through them all but it is really worthwhile. I've ordered the list roughly in the "SF quality hierarchy". Funny thing is, as you study Lordpoint's work, you'll really see the quality...
My new shoes, Drydens for $106 with trees! NIB: It was definetly a great snag To show how well some of these AEs hold up, here are 6 year old Wendells (I know, icky style). This is 6 years of 2-3x/wk work wear