or Connect

Posts by Gibonius

So, uh...who was the last Republican president that you supported?Nixon?
I assume that's directed at my comment from awhile back?The point isn't to say people "aren't real Muslims," which is sort of a useless distinction. The point is understanding the problem. Why is ISIS so much more effective at creating home grown terrorists? What factors make someone susceptible to radicalization by ISIS? The differences between Al Qaeda and ISIS are going to let us address that. ISIS is recruiting different people with different motivations."Because...
Baltimore is more like Chicago than the other ones there. The gentrified/gentrifying part of the city is pretty nice, but you really have to watch out if you go into the wrong blocks.If you look at DC, they made an effort to ship a lot of the public housing people into the Maryland suburbs. Those particular suburbs degraded significantly, but the density is lower and it broke up some of the standing patterns. You get fights and robberies, but not gun battles in the...
You get a chance to read that "Hillbilly Elegy" book? I bought it and haven't had a chance to dive in yet.People talk about bootstrapping and fixing your community all that, but it's pretty damn hard to advance your life when you're in one of those environments. It's not just "culture", although that's a major part of it. There just aren't that many opportunities. Your job opportunities are limited, you don't really have a lot of chances to learn the perspective on...
The coal people should blame their own industry. They didn't adapt to the natural gas and alternative energy booms, and now they're dead. They might have been able to survive if they'd diversified or at least changed to focus on export. Too late now, coal is a technological dinosaur and the literal portrait of an environmental disaster. The problems in West Virginia and similar places go a lot further than just coal though. It's pretty much macro forces acting on...
I did mention that issue in the next sentence.We weren't really having the conversation, but Trump has made it radioactive for people who might have been willing to listen otherwise. If Trump loses, who else is going to step in and pick up the mantel of this conversation?
It's too bad Trump has become the spokesman for the "we ought to do something" camp. There's a reasonable conversation in there, but (again) we aren't having it because of the effect of Trump.There might be kind of a Catch 22 there. You need someone who isn't beholden to the "usual rules" to raise the conversation, but not so far outside that it shuts down the conversation. Maybe that person doesn't exist in the US right now.
Even "radical Islam" has some pretty serious distinctions. Al Qaeda's style of "Islamic terrorism" is significantly different from what ISIS is doing. The Al Qaeda people tended to be seriously educated in Islam, albeit an extreme form. A lot of ISIS recruits barely know how to read, much less have any scholarly knowledge of Islam. The self-radicalized people in the West pick up ISIS ideology online, but don't tend to have any background in actual Islamic study. ISIS...
Apparently it was an allergic reaction, to the point of anaphylaxis. He's home now and sleeping. Not exactly walking in a straight line, but he seems ok for now.
Took my geriatric dog to the vet for a suspected spine thing. They more or less confirmed it, gave me some drugs to help him out a little bit, a vaccine he was due for, and we went on our way. Then he collapsed in the parking lot Back legs just didn't work, had to carry him into the vet. They think it might be an allergic reaction to the shot, but he's still at the vet under observation. It felt like one of those "this is it" moments. Maybe he'll pull through but...