or Connect

Posts by Gibonius

Dress or more casual?On the more casual side, the natural ecru linen hopsack is really nice. It's a little heavier than most linens, so probably not 100F material, but what is really?
Thumbs up for the God-king reference.I think there were some big changes, especially in Trump's speech. No talk about the troops, very little about American values other than "winning" and "being great again." Then they just doubled (tripled) down on FEAR. There wasn't really any sense of a coherent Republican theory of governance, just GOD FOR GOD-EMPEROR.Ivanka's speech sounded like she was talking to the DNC. Very strange.
Trump is such an abnormal candidate that I don't see how you can draw any conclusions from him losing.Most of Trump's supporters like a few of his particular polices (of the dozens of often conflicting things he's said), but mostly they like Trump. The same goes for the anti-Trump people. Lots of his policies would be individually liked by Democrats, they're just swamped out by the much more odious ones and Trump. You can't meaningfully extract much about policy because...
I feel like whichever party loses is going to look at the election and chalk the loss up to having an awful candidate. How do you really make any policy analysis from looking at the test cases of Trump and Hillary?
I read an article about that yesterday:http://theweek.com/articles/635385/how-police-unions-actually-hurt-police-officersShould it surprise anyone that the public is upset and frustrated with police when the cops (and their unions) get agitated at people for even asking questions? You see the extension of this with some of the responses to BLM. It basically boils down to "Shut up until you fix you own problems" and/or "Shut up because there are negative consequences to...
It's funny with free trade though, both the Sanders crowd and the Trump crowd are bashing her for being too free trade. Not sure where she'll really come out on that.The Red Team/Blue Team thing though, that gets stuck back into the two-party system dynamic. There's a huge psychological incentive to "make your vote matter", and it's going to be hard to see a third party ever win unless there's a structural change. Even if you hate both of the major party options, it...
That paper was actually one of the citations in the one I posted.It's an interesting question, because as the study I posted gets into, career choice is hugely influenced by your life circumstances and then hugely influences your life. It's tied into everything in our society, which obviously makes it a complex question to examine.It's also interesting to me how reactionary some people get about it. You mention wage gaps and the usual suspects are tripping over...
I'd like to see a breakdown for some of the low paying professions like home health care providers, how many of them are immigrants.I catch your meaning, but "disproportionate" doesn't necessary carry judgement (it probably does here though). It just means the scaling isn't linear.The bigger point there still holds. There's this modern mythology that women can "have it all," but there's only so many hours in the week. If you want to have relationships, have a family,...
That's included in the second section of the study, albeit briefly.It's not really intended as a strict analysis of pay rates. The study is more intended to address why women move towards the fields that they move into, and how societal factors influence that.
You'll have to ask Ivanka why she brought it up.On a related note though, there's a study moving around that discusses the issue with a little more complexity than the usual. Pretty good read, if you like economic and social policy analysis.http://www.epi.org/publication/womens-work-and-the-gender-pay-gap-how-discrimination-societal-norms-and-other-forces-affect-womens-occupational-choices-and-their-pay/