or Connect

Posts by Gibonius

Protecting minorities from the abuses of majority rule was built into our system from the beginning. The tyranny of the majority and all. It doesn't work perfectly, but the mechanism is there.Has that ever been litigated?Clearly affirmative actions programs, designed to compensate previously discriminated against groups, have to come at the expense of somebody else. It's a thorny issue, although I think a different one from discrimination protection itself.I don't think...
The point isn't that you need to buy from that particular store, it's that you shouldn't have to face discrimination while engaging in routine commercial activities.
One person's "Loot a private citizen's bank account" is another's "Enforce a judicial ruling for illegal discrimination." I don't see it as "vengeful," I see it as using the powers granted the government to enforce laws designed to protect people from discrimination.Is someone measurably hurt by "having" to sell cakes to anyone who requests one? What's the downside here?The Civil Rights Act allows for the government to enforce penalties for discrimination. We've run...
This is more than a little hysterical. The government is not "waging war" on citizens because of...what? Political correctness?In your example so far, a baker would have had to bake a cake. Holy shit, the world is ending.Churches aren't businesses, and religious services aren't commerce.It's a huge slippery slope to assume that the government is going to intrude into private religious observation because they're currently regulating commerce.
The problem with this argument is that the government is now Constitutionally prohibited from using its power to discriminate in such a fashion. The government retaining its power to prevent persecution of protected classes does not logically extrapolate to a scenario where the government uses power to institute persecution in the future, because of those restrictions. It only really makes sense if you're working backwards from the axiom that government power is...
Not to mention that the laws reflected the will of the majority, and people largely supported the Jim Crow laws. They could certainly have changed them through the democratic process, but didn't and showed no signs of doing so. Fought tooth and nail not to, in fact. The whole South threw a fit and turned Republican after the Civil Rights Act passed, which doesn't seem to be the action of a group just passively following the arbitrary rules of government.Of course...
These also seem to be the same people who want to get rid of political correctness, eg, shaming people and businesses into following social conventions against bigotry.To bring this back to Trump: From all the cheering about Trump's so-called "war on political correctness," you look at the stuff he's actually doing and it's the exact stuff the political correctness movement was created to stop: making personal attacks against women, minorities, going after people's...
Or refusing blacks service at lunch counters. Huh, the analogy still seems to fit.Yes, I'd have expected someone to face penalties for violating the Civil Rights Act back in 1995. This is exactly the same argument you see (and still see, in some quarters) against the Civil Rights Act. How much of that are we supposedly rolling back in favor of liberty? Businesses can refuse to hire women? You can be fired for having kids? That stuff happens already, albeit less...
That's clearly a direct extrapolation. You're really bringing the nuance and subtly that libertarians are known for to this discussion.
I'm picking a particular real world example to highlight the consequences of this stance. "I can't buy a cake from the vendor I like!" is easily trivialized, but the very obvious problems of mass discrimination in the not too distant past aren't. I don't think society is going to agree that "Well, it's ok because anyone can be discriminated against!" is much reassurance.History has demonstrated that people are entirely willing to go against their own economic interests...