Posts by Gibonius

It's kind of funny, they always ask if it's ok to do pourover. Like I'd rather have coffee from the big vat instead. I guess it takes an extra minute or two and some people care about that.The best pourover I ever was one I did at home when I had no idea what I was doing. I have no idea why it came out so well and it's irritated me ever since.
Oddly enough, I've had some really good pourover at Starbucks. I've only ever gotten it in the middle of the afternoon when it's really slow and they don't have the blonde roast prepared. By far the best non-Clover coffee I've had at Starbucks.
That seems like just the worst arrangement. Get halfway through a root canal and then wait two weeks?
See if you can work out a policy to cash out some of your unlimited vacation.
Cost me $1200 to tap a new line off the meter and run it through the ceiling in the basement to my fireplace and outside to the grill. Shouldn't be too bad to route it to your kitchen, especially if you have access with the ceilings opened up.
I feel like I need to try duck again. I did one at home years ago and it didn't come out that well.If nothing else, duck fat = confit My turkey was awesome this year, but it was a lot of work to get something that was pretty much just as good as an average chicken.The tradition is kind of fun. Something about the big ol' bird coming out is memorable in a way that chickens aren't.
People love bullshit kitchen gadgets.It also reinforces the idea that turkeys are some kind of magically complex and sophisticated meal. It requires special machinery to carve!Also, you know, most people have dull as shit knives. My parents have 20 year old knives that have never been sharpened. You can't cut bread with those things, imagine what it does to turkey.
My wife had no idea why people liked steak until she got out of her parents house. They cook everything to death. Some kind of paranoia about food safety I think.That incident with my in-laws and the prime rib was seriously painful. It was like a hundred dollar prime rib. MIL pulls it out at like 145F (already too high) and decided it needs more time because it's "still pink." It's prime rib!It ended up being this hideous lifeless grey. I ate the minimal amount I...
I think that's generally true, but Thanksgiving gets this extra layer of nostalgia and mythology over it. Most people only cook a turkey once a year and it's at Thanksgiving. It turns into a whole thing.I cooked one this year for friends. Spatchcocked it and did a dry bine. It was fantastic. Eight of us ate every scrap of a 15 pound bird.
They ought to use a leave-in, because they're super paranoid and pull the bird out a million times. And still overcook it. They've also got one of those super old-fashioned thermometers that takes like a full minute to register, so everything is cooling down while it's registering. Drives me nuts, but I'm not going to burn a bunch of in-law points fighting that battle.