or Connect

Posts by Gibonius

You had the answer right in your post. Lack of competition means they don't have to give any shits about your customer experience.
The Wall has turned into this symbol for Trump's campaign, from both sides. It's an interesting battleground for the anti-Trump argument though, because it's not really that unreasonable a proposal. We already have walls, and fairly few people believe that countries can't define their own boundaries. it's just being held up as a proxy for the actually extreme stuff Trump has said, but loses some strength in the process.The "mass deportation" business ought to be...
Yeah, I've heard that. Sort of a five year turbo-postdoc. At least everybody knows it, so getting rejected for tenure doesn't kill your career.
Postdoc life, yo. They don't hang around that long. Four years is a damn long time, considering. We've had like five other postdocs come and go since then.
This is more of a hibbeldy-jibbeldy thing than pissed off, but I've shared an office with the same guy for four years. And he just left. It's weird. He was the only person I'd see at work some days, going to be weird having an empty office all the time
The 538 article is the sane person take on Johnson's status. It's interesting that he's polling well, and it's absolutely a response to people not liking Trump and Clinton. But it's not some presage of a sweep to electoral victory.
Isn't that what adjuncts are for?
Trump really has a gift for mockery. Not what I'd look for in a president, but you have to admit he can land some devastating slams seemingly off the cuff.
People bringing up the affirmative action card are not using it to note that someone else might have been more qualified, they're doing it to discredit the person in question. The same line was used against Obama. You don't get to Harvard or Penn or Chicago without being extremely well qualified. There may be even better people out there, but that's not the same question.Warren's situation is a little different because of the dishonesty element. Attacking her on the...
Race and/or gender are tiny weighting factors used to decide between highly qualified candidates at these elite schools. Nobody who is otherwise unqualified is getting a faculty position at Harvard, much less tenure, simply because they have a vagina or (claim to) have minority heritage. It's reasonable to ask wtf Warren was thinking when she claimed Native American heritage. It's not reasonable to dismiss her subsequent accomplishments as fake or meaningless because...