or Connect

Posts by Peacoat

Quote: Originally Posted by Mudhiker Here is an essay that claims that the inside button is "to secure the double-breasted front." Nice essay. I notice he referenced my article on vintage peacoats. Unfortunately the link changed during a re working of the website, and it is now an entirely different topic. I did add the new link toward the end of the discussion. I have heard that single button theory before, but not sure I buy it. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Reggs Peacoats are played out. Chubby mouth-breathing Tommy Bahama dads wear them now. Shows over. Check back in this thread 60 years from now. Bye Thank goodness! When I saw that peacoats were becoming popular again several years ago, I knew the fashion industry would bastardize the basic stylish peacoat beyond recognition. For the past couple of years, I have mostly been wearing one of my leather jackets,...
Iroh, is there a corresponding buttonhole on the other side of the coat?
Quote: Originally Posted by wrongturnsteve when buying vintage mil issue peacoats, is it always best to go with measured chest size? is it the same with current mil issue? shout out to Peacoat, your advice here and article on fedoralounge have been immensely helpful That is a tricky question. It depends on how you want it to fit. I have found the vintage issue coats are pretty true to chest size. That is, a coat with the tag size of...
Leather isn't warm. It has other positive attributes, but warmth isn't one of them. At your price range, you may be able to get a Schott. And some of their jackets come with a liner. The liner isn't particular warm, but better than nothing. If you want warmth, go with wool or one of the hi tech fabrics.
I'm not the seller, but I ran across this peacoat on Ebay this morning. In a difficult to find size, 34R. Thought some of you guys might be interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
Yes, the tag is definitely 1945 (you have a good eye for detail), and the coat is definitely post war. I would say it is one of the first peacoats manufactured using the modern style. The contractor probably had been making peacoats during the war, had a bunch of tags left over, and was allowed to finish his run of tags before changeover to the slightly different post war tag. Pictured below is a photo of a tag from 1947. I think this is the tag that was used from just...
Quote: Originally Posted by unmodern I think this is terrible advice. 1-2" of extra fabric around the chest is utterly unreasonable for a shirt, let alone outerwear. I would say 2.5" as an absolute minimum, if you're only wearing it over a jersey Tee; and up to 5" for layering. There's a reason coats and jackets are cut large in the chest. I know that a 36R duffle, for instance, will typically run to 42" in the chest. Before you call my...
Vecna: You could ask someone at Sterlingwear to give you the measurement across the chest from just under one armpit to just under the other armpit. They will need to lay the coat face up and on a flat surface. Pull the fabric tight and then let it relax. Take the measurement. If your actual chest measurement is 42" or 43", then you will want a peacoat that measures 22+" across the chest from pit to pit. The + will be a fraction of an inch such as 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4....
Here are a couple of photos of WWI era peacoats: The period before WWII is pretty much the Dark Ages for me (and any other researcher) in dating/cataloging peacoats. The style could have changed a time or two between the early 1900s and 1941, but I tend to think they stayed pretty much the same during the approximately 23 years between WWI and WWII. I have good documentation of the WWII peacoats, and have made headway in cataloging the WWI era. But there are...