or Connect

Posts by Peacoat

Quote: Originally Posted by DC Office Hack Gary at Vintagetrends replied to my email and says that it probably is kersey wool, so it's mislabeled on the website. I should add that he said the label was missing. Question: how does one date a peacoat without the label? Probably can't get an exact date, but one can get the era. My article gives the clues to look for. Gary is the owner, I think. He can handle the coat and tell immediately what...
I went to the Vintage Trends site, but I didn't find the specific coat you referred to. I believe they may be using the terms, "Melton" and "Kersey" interchangeably. They referred to a bunch of coats in the 50s as being Melton wool. I would inquire as to the wording on the tag. I know that Pembroke had a contract or two for Melton back in '72 or '73. Actually Pembroke made both Melton and Kersey in, I believe, 1973. If the tag is silent as to the wool type, ask...
I used to think that all the coats prior to 1980 were Kelsey, but they aren't. I know they had a contract in the 70's for Melton. Didn't think they did any in 1967. I would double check with them about that. If the tag says "Melton," then I would think it is, in fact, the Melton finish, even though it is dated 1967.
Quote: Originally Posted by DC Office Hack These things have to age, though, no? Is there no difference between a late-1940s coat and a 1960s or 70s coat? I'm not referring to the details you describe over at the Fedora Lounge, but in terms of the age of the wool. I'm inclined to think that the Grail is to find the last Kelsey-wool coat ever made. I have in my closet, and have had in my closet, WWII peacoats that are in as good of condition...
Quote: Originally Posted by DC Office Hack Before I go ahead and buy a Truman or Eisenhower-era peacoat, the question occured to me: Does one buy vintage for the sake of collecting, or can I go ahead and wear this thing and expect it to perform like a peacoat? I mean, do I have to treat a 40-50 yr old coat gingerly? In a word, no. The vintage peacoats are well made and more durable than the modern issue coats, and the civilian fashion...
Quote: Originally Posted by ArsenalDan I intend on buying it first thing tomorrow morning (assuming it is still there - and no reason not to, really, aside from my own neuroses, since I left just as they were closing)....so I'll let you know what I find. So, did you buy it?
Quote: Originally Posted by ArsenalDan Peacoat and knowledgeable others: Could this be a fake/imitation? I found a 36 today in a thrift/vintage store for only $40 and in a lot of ways it seems real: corduroy lined pockets, double stitching above the cuff, some stamping on the inside, a "Clothing Supply Office" tag with the same numbers as this image from circa 1952 coat (via Peacoat's Fedora Lounge thread). BUT: the wool feels pretty...
I like the way they did the pockets in corduroy, the reinforced stitching at the collar, the midnight blue color and the double line of stitching 3" above the cuff. Good attention to detail. Yes, please let me know how the material compares to the Kersey. In several of the pictures, your coat looks like it may be Kersey, and in others it looks more like the Melton coats I have. The close ups look more like the Melton. The company certainly went to some trouble to...
Looks like an accurate reproduction. The material is probably closer to Melton, as it appears from the photos. Plus, the old Kersey just isn't available anymore--that I know of. You are right about the size 44 in WWII peacoats; they are hard to find. I have a 42, and they are somewhat more available.
Peacoats are designed to be worn with more than just a T-shirt underneath. The sleeve length in the picture with just the T-shirt is the maximum that I would want to see. Having long arms, I look for coats with long sleeves, so I like that length. The body length looks fine. The shoulders are fine and will show a better fit with a sweater under it. With the side view and the buttons unbuttoned, it is impossible to tell anything about the fit from that angle. A...