or Connect

Posts by Peacoat

Quote: Originally Posted by ArsenalDan I intend on buying it first thing tomorrow morning (assuming it is still there - and no reason not to, really, aside from my own neuroses, since I left just as they were closing)....so I'll let you know what I find. So, did you buy it?
Quote: Originally Posted by ArsenalDan Peacoat and knowledgeable others: Could this be a fake/imitation? I found a 36 today in a thrift/vintage store for only $40 and in a lot of ways it seems real: corduroy lined pockets, double stitching above the cuff, some stamping on the inside, a "Clothing Supply Office" tag with the same numbers as this image from circa 1952 coat (via Peacoat's Fedora Lounge thread). BUT: the wool feels pretty...
I like the way they did the pockets in corduroy, the reinforced stitching at the collar, the midnight blue color and the double line of stitching 3" above the cuff. Good attention to detail. Yes, please let me know how the material compares to the Kersey. In several of the pictures, your coat looks like it may be Kersey, and in others it looks more like the Melton coats I have. The close ups look more like the Melton. The company certainly went to some trouble to...
Looks like an accurate reproduction. The material is probably closer to Melton, as it appears from the photos. Plus, the old Kersey just isn't available anymore--that I know of. You are right about the size 44 in WWII peacoats; they are hard to find. I have a 42, and they are somewhat more available.
Peacoats are designed to be worn with more than just a T-shirt underneath. The sleeve length in the picture with just the T-shirt is the maximum that I would want to see. Having long arms, I look for coats with long sleeves, so I like that length. The body length looks fine. The shoulders are fine and will show a better fit with a sweater under it. With the side view and the buttons unbuttoned, it is impossible to tell anything about the fit from that angle. A...
Quote: Originally Posted by dasai So, for about 2 years, I've been wearing an early-1950s vintage U.S. Navy peacoat, size 38. It fits me all right, but it's always been slightly too long and too wide in the shoulders (I'm a true 37). Today at the local secondhand clothing shop, I spotted a size 36 from around the same time period. Aside from the usual problems affecting a garment so old (small rip in lining, buttonholes needing re-stitching, buttons...
Quote: Originally Posted by VictorC Oh i wasnt implying i wash it myself. Yes i was just enquiring would you get your coat washed when recieving second hand, and you gave the answer i was looking for. Yes i think i will take it too the dry cleaners to get the minor repairs done, which should cost about £17 altogether with a wash of the coat too. Doesnt sound too bad price! Although ive worn the coat several times with the odour, which isnt really bad,...
Quote: Originally Posted by bb714 I have a new Sterlingwear Authentic 34R for sale. Someone got it for me for Christmas, but I already have one. PM if interested! There is a buy/sell thread in the Streetwear and Denim section. You might post your coat there.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nogo How did they alter the waist? Did they take fabric from the back portion or the side/front portion? I want to get mine altered also but the back's tight enough as it is :/ Normally the seamstress will remove fabric equally from both sides of center. You could, however, tell her about the fit, and she could take fabric only from the front side of the coat.
Quote: Originally Posted by BrineShrimp Out of curiosity, what are the differences between the Sterlingwear current issue military peacoat and the civilian authentic version? Are there any differences? Both have 6 buttons showing. The civilian authentic is a 24 oz. 80/20 wool/nylon blend. The current issue is 100% wool, and I believe, but not sure, that it is a 24 oz. weight. It certainly doesn't feel as heavy as my 32 oz. Kersey...