Posts by Peacoat

Welcome to the Forum, Bailey. Peacoats after 1979 are issued in black. The wool isn't as nice, but the sizing is about the same as the vintage coats. Before 1980 peacoats were a deep midnight blue, so dark they looked black, until one saw them in sunlight. A very attractive color. A deeper and richer color than plain black. If you want a Schott, they may sell online, or if they don't, Gail will know who will. Gail is the answer person for the company on the message...
Whatever you decide to get, ask the seller to give you a pit to pit measurement, and then use what you have learned from the sizing section to find a good fit. If you get a vintage or a current civilian Sterlingwear, and you want a tighter fit, you might go with a 36 long so you will have the proper length in the sleeves and the body. Don't try to make the peacoat longer than it was designed or it will look a little odd. The Authentic Sterlingwear has just about the...
And here is the tag in the peacoat I just posted. Edit Note: Oops, that didn't work so well. Just a bit on the small size.
Hi Dima, welcome to the Forum.Your best bet, to get started, is to read my article on US Navy issue peacoats. There is a section on sizing toward the end of the article which will be useful for whatever type of peacoat you decide to get. If you have no interest in the vintage Navy peacoats, you can just skip most of the article and go directly to the section on sizing.The link to the article appears in my signature line below.The Russian Navy has peacoats for its...
There is a selling thread in the Outerwear section. You might want to post it there also.
20.75" is just a little large. I would expect a size 38 to measure 20.25" to 20.50". That's why I recommend the buyer get an accurate p2p prior to purchase.This peacoat with a p2p of 20.75 will fit between a size 38 and a size 39 (which isn't made). It will be a large fit for a size 38.When measuring your chest, the tape should be at the widest point of the chest--usually at the nipples, with the tape level in both the front and back. If your chest measures 38", the...
I think that is the right decision. I wish you would measure your chest again at the widest part, right at the nipples, keeping the tape even in the back as well as in the front. A 44 chest should be a trim fit with a p2p of 22.+ -. I am just wondering if your chest measurement might be a bit off. The p2p compared to the stated chest size of 42 is dead on.
P2P of 22.5" is exactly what I would think a size 42 peacoat would measure. You have to watch the sellers. They will give out information based on the stated tag size, and that isn't what you want. You want the actually p2p, which isn't what they gave you. I think the fit is fine. The sleeves are the proper length--wouldn't want them any shorter, so going with a smaller size wouldn't work for you. The overall length is fine, from what I can see, and the coat seems to...
I would like to see the measurement on the 38. Please lay the coat out on a flat surface, chest up. Pull the fabric tight and then let it relax. Take the measuremt across the chest from just under one armpit to just under the opposite armpit. It should measure about 20" plus a fraction, and will probably be about 20.25" plus or minus .25". Sometimes there will be a jacket with a non standard chest size, but most (95%) fall in this range.
1965 was the last year peacoats would button from either side. 1967 was the last year for corduroy hand warmer pockets. Starting in 1968 the lining was cotton. Both of these features are on the 1962 coat, but not the 1968, Your 1962 peacoat will have a double row of stitching about 2" above the cuff, with a single row of stitching at the cuff. Your 1968 coat has only the single row of stitching at the cuff. Please measure your chest at the widest part under the...