or Connect

Posts by Peacoat

Just saw this page of the thread, or I would have answered your question in my previous post.From the beginning up until 1979, inclusive, the official color was a dark "midnight blue" in the Kersey wool that looked almost black. In 1980 the material changed to a Melton wool, and the color changed to a true black.I have found the civilian peacoats to be fitted larger than the issue coats, so if you go to a 42 in a 740N, it may well be too large for your tastes. I like...
If you were getting an issue peacoat, your size would be a 40. That size should leave enough room for a sweater when the temps get below freezing. Not knowing anything about the Schott, I'm not sure how the Schott size 40 would fit.Your best bet is to find the Schott message board, which I believe is at the Schott online site . It is manned by Gail. She is knowledgeable about these things, and could probably give you a pretty good idea of what you will need. I also...
The tag indicates a current issue peacoat.
There is a section on peacoat sizing at the end of the article linked below. The sizing information mostly relates to sizes 38 and above. You are on the right track looking at the p2p measurement rather than the stated size of the garment. Quote: Originally Posted by lwkeung I am 5'8" and about 155lbs. I usually wear shirts with a ~20" p2p, and coats/jackets about 21" p2p. For a fitted peacoat, should I find something around 19-20" p2p? Or would...
If you posted a picture, that might be helpful. It sounds like a nice coat, but $225 is a bit steep for a student. Right now is a good time to steal a peacoat on eBay as the market is down. Of course there aren't as many listings as there are during the Winter, but if you find what you want, that makes no difference. It actually is easier now to wade through all of the junk peacoats and find the real thing. Before you start looking, read my article on peacoats,...
Yes, any wool coat bought 2nd hand should be dry cleaned. This site has all types of buttons. The link is to the military page, but if you scout around, there should be lots of others on the site. http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/...&idCategory=87
Glad you like the coat. The wool will stretch a bit to fit your body. That price for a WWII in good condition is very rare. You made a good score. For my reference, please let me know your measured chest size, the pit to pit measurement of the coat, and the stated tag size. Thanks.
Quote: Originally Posted by Fips Hi, I'm from Germany and currently in Dallas on a business trip. Can anyone recommend a place where to buy a proper vintage/surplus pea coat around this area? Thanks in advance! Don't know of anyplace in Dallas, but if you get up to NYC, there is a place in the Village, east of NYU, that might be of use to you.
Quote: Originally Posted by DC Office Hack Does the number of vintage peacoats that comes onto the market ebb and flow with the seasons? Will there be fewer hitting ebay now that we're heading into spring and summer? Should one wait until fall before hitting the market? Or, perhaps now's the best time since demand is lower... Yes, there is a definite ebb and flow. Now is a good time as the demand will be lower and not as many bidders in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by DC Office Hack Gary at Vintagetrends replied to my email and says that it probably is kersey wool, so it's mislabeled on the website. I should add that he said the label was missing. Question: how does one date a peacoat without the label? Probably can't get an exact date, but one can get the era. My article gives the clues to look for. Gary is the owner, I think. He can handle the coat and tell immediately what...