or Connect

Posts by Peacoat

Quote: Originally Posted by ArsenalDan WOW am I glad I held out. Today went to a couple more vintage stores and got what appears to be a crazy steal for $50. 99.9% mint (one small moth graze), lining in perfect shape, length of the sleeves is perfect, corduroy pockets (not the khaki/camel ones that I love, but the less-seen dark green similar to what a lot of corduroy pants are done in...approximately this color:...
Might be enough extra in the cuffs material to lengthen the sleeves? But they really ought to get the measurements correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by ArsenalDan Peacoat or others with vintage coats: How concerned should I be by a number of moth holes near the top of the lining. I am sure I could get them sewn up, but do they portend greater problems with the lining in the near future even if resewn? Basically, I took another look at the Navy Clothing Factory edition that I have my eye on, but it has those small moth holes in the lining as well as a minor (impercetible...
OK, here is one that is shot front on. Notice the V at the top of the neck where the lapels meet. That is the center of the coat, and both sides of the buttons are centered on this point. That is what your coat should look like. Attachment 57144 You can click the image for a larger picture.
Here is one of my coats that shows the buttons in the normal position. Compare to yours to see if the centering is the same. I think in this photo the shot is from an angle, so it isn't as centered as I would like it. Attachment 57142
Quote: Originally Posted by mreggen The camera sucks at the distance in the pic with the whole jacket. The buttons looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/psDVQ.jpg I'll try to take it to a seamstress, I'm just afraid that theyll go "sure sure we can fix that" either way, and then totally ruin the coat . The kersey wool is really really nice, definitely want one of these now, but the fact that this feels really big makes me unsure if I should get a 40 or...
Quote: Originally Posted by mreggen I'm 41 in the chest, so bought a 42R on vintage clothing. The coat is beautiful mint kersey wool, unfortunately it's way to big. Being on the other side of the planet and vintage clothings return policy I guess I will get rid of it locally. No point in trying to salvage a coat like this at the tailor right? It would have to be both shortened and taken in a lot. Might take it to a seamstress and see what the...
I agree with Vaio. Good length in the sleeves and in the body--maybe a bit long in the body. A little big elsewhere. If you go down a size, you should be about right. Or you could go down a size and make it a long, but I don't think that will be necessary. Normally when going down a size, one will lose about 1/2" from the sleeves and about 1" from the length in the body. When going to a long, there is usually about 1" added in the sleeves and about 2" in the...
Yes, a 38 might work better for you, especially if you want a more fitted look. A friend of mine with a 39" chest got a vintage 40, and it was too big for him.
Quote: Originally Posted by PaulYAY I actually snapped up the size 34 Vietnam era coat that you linked to on Ebay. I bought my first peacoat ever in September, which didn't end up fitting (grey APC in size M, 21 p2p if anyones interested), and then bought 2 within the past 2 weeks. One is the navy Kitsune I posted, that was a bit more dressy (you mentioned the more suit-style lapels). And now the black deadstock Vietnam era coat. I should be set now,...