or Connect

Posts by Peacoat

Quote: Originally Posted by Potatowned Just picked up my first vintage peacoat. its a 1968 Pembroke Inc. military spec. Overall, I am pretty pleased with it. It's very thick and the wool is beautiful. I have a few questions: - How many buttons should it have? On the chest, there are the 3 buttons on the left and the 3 buttons on the right. However, on the right side (if I am wearing the coat), there is a buttonhole, seemingly to fasten the...
Quote: Originally Posted by stalinkipz nvm..it fits horribly i giveup im going to return it You know, Stalin, you just haven't filled out yet. You are probably 16 or 17 with a slim build and trying to wear a coat that is made for guys older than you with a bigger build. When I was your age, I had a similar build, but just a bit larger. I filled out, and so will you, in a year or so--as soon as you start college. My take is this: The...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lupo Is it possible to alter a peacoat...make it slimmer? or is it easier to widen a peacoat? A tailor can make it smaller without much trouble. If you need to widen it an inch or less, the buttons can be moved, but it may look a bit off kilter. _____ Edit note: That's a cool sweater, Gradstudent; thanks for the link. They also have other UK items. Haven't bought from them before, but have heard of them. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by louie_jack6 What's an appropriate length for a pea coat? I just got an Authentic from Sterlingware, and I'm okay with the fit and sleeve length, but I can't tell if it's too long on me. Thanks for any help. It should cover your butt. A couple of inches longer than that is OK. If it hits you at mid thigh it is too long.
Quote: Originally Posted by stalinkipz thank you. im going to get a long and see how it fits. i live in California so its rare enough it dropping below 30 yet alone having a high of 30. That article is quite helpful, and yess i know i need to eat more and i do :but i have a stupid fast metabolism and have been rail thin as long as i remember Or, you might do as ahjota suggests and check out the Schott 740. Gail would probably give you a...
Quote: Originally Posted by stalinkipz ive decided on getting a sterlingwear authentic peacoat. my chest measures 36 inches at rest and 37 inches inhaling. im 6 feet tall and cant really figure out how to measure my sleeve length and coat length because im getting things that are way different than what they offer on the website. so im thinking about getting a size 36 coat because thats down one size and should be nice and fitted, but i have no clue...
I am down to 15 or 20 peacoats. And yes, they are all vintage except one Sterlingwear civilian peacoat and maybe one or two current issue military Sterlingwear.
Quote: Originally Posted by VictorC Yes the burton peacoat wasnt that warm i think. Plus it doesnt have the button high at the collarbone, so you cant button the flap to keep your upper chest warm. I havent got a parka though. I may consider getting one though. But ive got too many coats now though i think. A man only needs one coat, a pair of shoes and a bed the saying goes i think. A bed is the most important of those items. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by syang451 Hi, i recently bought a pair of red wing 9011 from bakershoes, i was going to size to 9 as recommended, but i wanted to put in a insole, so the salesman recommended i size to 9.5 which is TTS. When i have my foot in the 9.5 sized 9011 without the insole their is some heel slippage and about the width of a thumbs space if i push my foot all the way to the front. However, with the insole, the fit feels much better...
Yes, the jumper will need to be wool. The thicker the better as it will take up more space. -5 C is good peacoat weather with the sweater. Although I'm not familiar with the Burton, I think you will find the vintage peacoats are more wind and water resistant than any other peacoat on the market. Also warmer if they are well fitted or worn with a sweater (in the UK, a jumper). I have spent many a cold night in NYC with a peacoat and a sweater and never got cold. Our...