Posts by Peacoat

A vintage peacoat is not for you. You will also have sleeve length problems. See the discussion above your post about the "Mil Spec" peacoat. It is the highest quality new peacoat I am aware of. Sterlingwear will have tall sizes available, and you can get the sleeve lengths and overall length from the customer service person at the company. That coat won't be on the website; you will have to call them to get info. I think that will be your best bet if you can get one to...
Yes, that is an issue coat. The contract date is 1990. Read my dating guide in my signature line below so you will learn to date them, size them and more. The rating can be removed without damaging the coat.
DSCP stands for Defense Supply Center Philadelphia. When you see this in the logo, along with "Sterlingwear," you know it is a current issue (since 1980) US Navy peacoat. I don't remember the weight, but it is the black Melton wool shell and not the more desirable Kersey wool. Melton is a lighter weight and not as dense of a weave as the Kersey. To make up for the lighter weight fabric, an insulated liner was added to make the Melton coats as warm as the Kersey coats.Prior...
So, that begs the question: what is a "current generation" peacoat? Is that the same as a "current issue" peacoat, which is the term for a peacoat issued by the Navy from 1980 to present?
So exactly what is a "gen military coat?" Is it a current issue (1980 through current issue) or is it a vintage model (prior to 1980)? If you aren't sure about its date of contract/manufacture, see the dating guide linked below in my signature line.
OK, I found it. His username is clarinetplayer. I am sure he will be glad to answer any question you may have. He is a good guy and is knowledgeable about peacoats. He also is affiliated with one of my favorite schools.
The Mil Spec is the same peacoat Sterlingwear makes for the U.S. Navy. It is the current issue peacoat. One of our members here has one, as well as a vintage peacoat, and likes both of them. He says they are equally warm. I will go back in my private messages and see if I can find his username so you can send him a message with any questions you have. I had a current issue peacoat, but gave it to a friend of mine who needed a warm coat for winter. He says it is the warmest...
At a retail price of over $1000, I would certainly hope it is high quality and long lasting! From what I have heard, Burberry has a good reputation. Don't know anything about this particular coat, however.
As you have a 40.5" chest, a p2p of 20 would give a close fit with no room for a sweater. If you are in the Southern part of the U.S. you could probably get by without layering for much of the winter. When I was in NYC, typical highs were in the upper 20s with lows in the teens. I was OK with a peacoat and no sweater, but we did a lot of walking. Back then the uniform for young men was blue jeans, a navy turtleneck and a peacoat. My turtleneck was cotton so it didn't...
The fitting of peacoats for online purchases is mainly controlled by two things: the measured circumference of one's chest and the properly measured p2p of the peacoat.If your chest measures 38" then a peacoat with a p2p of 20.25" will give you a pretty good fit. You will probably have room to layer a sweater underneath. Some of the size 38 WWII coats may come in with a p2p of 20" which may not allow room for a sweater.If you haven't yet, read my guide linked in my...