or Connect

Posts by Peacoat

I have seen, and measured, size 34 coats from the the seventies and eighties only (there may have been a sixties in there, as well). These all measured 19" p2p. An odd anomaly. I would think (an educated guess) that the WWII coats are sized about the same, but perhaps a little smaller than the post war models.
Normally, size 36 and below have p2p that are different from the larger sizes. Most (all?) of the size 34s I have seen have a p2p of about 19". The size 36s are about 20". These p2p measurements are a little larger than we would expect based on our experience with the larger sizes--38 and above.
Is the seller, the one who said that was 1/8" to 1/4", a woman? I'm betting so. What I am seeing is the standard amount of material typically available inside the cuff of a peacoat. There should be more under the lining. You will be able to get at least an inch out of that, and maybe a little more. Also, I'm betting the p2p measurement is off as well. Probably closer to 20.25" than 21.50", which was furnished by the seller. She probably didn't measure correctly. We...
If there is only 1/4" of material at the cuff, you are out of luck, as you will need sleeves longer than 24". Often, though, there is additional material under the lining at the cuff. A tailor or a seamstress can attach a piece of material, called a bias to get the most of what original material is left. In most of the peacoats I have seen there is sufficient material inside the cuff to lengthen the sleeves about an inch, perhaps a little more. It would be unusual to...
Vintage Flower: Welcome to the forum. Your chest measurement should always be taken all the way around. Measuring the way you did, can induce error in the measurement. I am guessing your chest measures about 40" around. The coat you bought will probably fit like a size 40, based on the p2p measurement. I see in the picture it is labeled as a 38. Either the p2p measurement is off, or the coat is mislabeled. Normally, for coats of that era, the p2p would be a whole...
Thanks, CP, that is good to know. I wasn't aware of it until just now.
Best tree stand I've ever seen. Peacoat looks good too. We have warmed up down here, and no longer peacoat weather during the day. But looks like you guys are somewhat cooler up there in A2.
If you are willing to go the current issue route, the Mil Spec from Sterlingwear might be a viable option. They are a little more fitted than the civilian offerings and are a little more expensive, as well. You will need to call and talk to a representative as that coat is a special order. The rep can give you guidance on the sleeve length, and may be able to give a p2p measurement as well.A size 38 in that model should have a p2p of about 20.5", while a size 40 should...
Unfortuantely, you are too tall, too slender with arms too long to get a good fit in a vintage peacoat. For your chest measurement, I would recommend a size 40 (p2p 21.25") or even a size 38 (p2p 20.2 5"). A peacoat of that chest size wouldn't be long enough in the sleeves or in the torso. The jacket that fits you well that measures 24" p2p is not a peacoat. That would translate into a size 46, which would swallow you. Peacoats are different. That is why I have never...
I wouldn't move the buttons so you can wear a sweater with the size 34. You have the 36 for the sweater wear. The shoulders look fine.