or Connect

Posts by Pressure_Drop

Sorry, should have replied to the photo of 'East End' lads of 1970, haven't been on here for a while!
These are all young Bristol City fans - in fact it features two of their top lads who still attend matches these days. East End refers to the City end where all the boot boys congregated which coincidentally has just been demolished to allow for redevelopment.
This is quite a game changer, as Cerneabbas says Levi two tone Sta-prest were de rigueur in Bristol, everyone and I mean everyone wore them. Austins was the store for us, they sold shed loads of them, can't believe for one moment they weren't sold in the rest of the country. Were Austins shops countrywide? But no, never saw or heard of two tone jackets but pretty certain there were Harrington style ones (as well as Prince of Wales check).So, we had something over the...
Never, ever remember a Levi Two Tone jacket, and if they did one I wouldn't wear it. What was popular was light brown needle cord jackets, exactly same style as the denim ones, think Levis, Lee Cooper and Wrangler all made them, mine was Lee Cooper, so much more stylish than wearing double denim.Incidentally Topper is not a well man these days and virtually housebound.
The most commonest ones were blue/maroon which gave a very nice purple look, I had the blue/black. I've mentioned another make as well previously which I think was CT, think they only sold them in Rodney Thomas so maybe they were their own brand?
I think it's on East Street and that's the old Robinson paper bag factory in the background (but I might be wrong). As you said it first appeared in the Western Daily Press in August 1971 at the start of the new football season, ironically seeing as the photo shows City fans fighting the three part series focussed more on the Tote End with the first installment carrying the headline 'The Lore of the Tote End mob':‘MEET THE TOTE END MOB, third in Soccer’s League of Violence...
Yep, quite enjoyed it mate - I think the transition to the 1960s and mod background worked surprisingly well. I don't think it was so dark as the original film but you can't really compare the two and let's face it anything with Helen Mirren in has to be good.
We used to call them 'Bogies' - an expression I must admit I'd totally forgot until I recently read Brighton Rock so it's obviously a nickname that goes back a fair few years.On the same subject, I'm pretty certain that I read somewhere that 'Pigs' was an insult used by black youths in America in the 60s to refer to whites, hippies latched on to it and used it specifically for cops.
Bloody hell, you got a good memory! I used to wear a Union Jack button badge in the lapel, in fact it was almost welded to it (this was during my dark 'dalliance with the far right' days). Monkey boots safe and sound and under lock and key under the stairs.
I didn't own one when I was a skinhead/suedehead (couldn't afford one) but I eventually bought one off of an older mate of mine in about 1976, he originally bought it from Petticoat Lane in 1970ish.As described by A&E they tended to be three quarter length, slighter darker and definitely not patch pockets. What I clearly remember were the buttons, round, brown and shiny in a quarter pattern and attached with a bolt that screwed into the back of the button, not stitched on....