or Connect

Posts by dhaller

Naturally, this is very regional. Here in the American Southeast, aristocratic past times include: Fox hunting - pretty exhilarating, sartorially demanding AND it concludes with good food and booze. Quail shooting - you have to get up before the crack of dawn, but what better chance to get out you Holland & Holland double royal shotgun? Falconry - not for those unnerved by birds (many people are) More universal past times include: Badminton - my wife...
I think the real issue here is that modern trend of "localized" exercise - people think in terms of "okay, I'm going to do arm workouts" or "I'm going to work my abs"; that's fine, but people really need to *use* their body to develop kinesthetic awareness, ie. "exercise intuition". Just getting out there and moving and doing things - hiking, tackling someone on a rugby field, some free-hand climbing to see a good view, mountain biking, trail running - allows someone to...
Dreads, and then pile them up under a Big-Ass Rasta knit hat. Go for that really tall "Cat in the Hat" effect. DH
I'm 6'1", 160lbs... wrists 6.75". I think of my wrists as "aristocratic" I've found that Lorenzini shirts fit slim wrists nicely! DH
I will add to this "don't look up a chick you had a hot fling with a few years ago just to say "hey", because you might discover she was in love with you all along and she's single now, and really touched that you've looked her up, because that must mean SOMETHING, right?" Ah, Facebook... DH
You'll find some good mon & pop Thai and Indian places in Tucker (big Indian population around there), but really, just drive to Atlanta (Midtown and Buckhead) if you're a foodie. Atlanta has one of the highest per capita densities of restaurants and bars in the US - it's a convention city - so just hit up Zagats or equivalent and have at it. For steak on a megabudget, I recommend Bones DH
My brother and I had wine at dinner as kids growing up - my father is a major gourmand, and a lot of his meals involved wine pairings. It was not every meal, and it was never presented as something weird or special - it was always just "part of dinner". I will say that my parents were pretty permissive in general - they never censored what I could watch or read, allowed me to travel (even internationally) with friends in high school, and so on. As a teen, there was...
Sadly, I can only drink decaff - had heart surgery and I became tachycardic as a side effect - which curbed my coffee drinking for awhile. Eventually I've identified some respectable decaffs. My basic coffee: organic and dark roast. Currently I'm drinking Batdorf and Bronson's organic Peruvian decaff. B&B is inconsistent with their dark roast, but one of their two roasters happens to be here in Atlanta, so I can select only the beans that are (to my eye/nose)...
For a more current treatment of string theory, check out Lisa Randall's "Warped Passages". For a critique of string theories, check out Lee Smolin's "The Trouble with Physics". Those two books will give you a pretty nice glimpse into the string theory landscape, and discussions of both its strengths and its shortcomings. String theory is actually a "class" of theories (comprising something like 10^500 distinct theories, or more theories than there are fundamental...
How about Pelikan's "Technixx" line? Modern styling, a good pen (it's a Pelikan), and affordable: http://www.goldspot.com/Pelikan_pens/Technixx.html DH