or Connect

Posts by dhaller

Well, here in the South, that girl (the OPs photo) would be generally referred to as "healthy". My own preference runs toward the lean and sleek ("built for speed, not for buoyancy"), so I'd say she's not so necessarily "fat" on an absolute level, but she's too fat for ME. I'd probably put her body fat around 25-30%, which is the "normal" range for women (it would be obese for men). I DO highly suspect she'll become obese as she ages and her metabolism slows (unless she...
That is so cool. I first read about it years ago - spider silk is literally one of nature's most remarkable products: incredibly strong, incredibly light, super-versatile (used as a structural material, a weapon, a mode of conveyance, and so on). I would buy spidersilk products in a heartbeat. If nothing else, I'd love to have gossamer-thin yet strong and insulating baselayers. (I'd say something about "Drow" but I don't want to peg myself as a nerd ) DH
I have some Philippine tribal art which was gifted to me by a tribal headman for setting up an immunization program there in the early 90s - it's cool because it's authentic and it has a story behind it. The hazard (I know it's too strong a word) in buying "decorative" tribal art is mainly (as previously stated) either fake or manufactured for tourist consumption, and secondarily because it often represents something "meaningful" which is misinterpreted or treated...
Buying furniture with the expectation of quality is one of the most frustrating things you can do, largely because the marketplace is fairly ignorant - and easy to rip off. So, kudos for actually looking into the issue! I have a 220 year old dining room table, for example - and I know that literally *nothing* I can buy today will have that level of quality and durability. This leaves two options - (i) buy antique (which is harder and harder every year, as the supply of...
I think it's fantastic, especially for a first effort; with continued practice, I think you'll do some great work (you already seem to have a good sense of proportion and composition, if that's the right word). My father has worked wood for about 40 years now (he used to make me toys when I was little, which of course I under-appreciated at the time); definitely a lifelong hobby! DH
Yeah, it's "do these 100" and the "do the next 100"; being able to partition it would certainly have been preferable.It took me 37 minutes to complete the workout (and my pushup form was pretty hilarious toward the end of those).I must say, though, that I'm no fan of doing 100 of anything - I need my novelty!DH
Agreed.I visited about 10 CF affiliated gyms and interviewed quite a few coaches and owners before settling on one; I'm pretty happy with the comprehensive fitness knowledge of the coaches at the one I selected. While no one coach there knows "everything", collectively they are an impressive source of help and information.My plan is to reevaluate annually (there will certainly be turnover in staff over time, so the expertise profile will vary); in any case, I think there...
Many complain about the cost of Crossfit gyms (mine is $150/month) but the benefits of coaching staff who get to know your particular strengths/weaknesses and the overall seriousness of the other members (no one reading a magazine on a treadmill in my gym...) creates, for me, an atmosphere which really kicks me to a higher level than I would probably be attaining at home (or even just working out alone at the Y).I pay my housekeeping service $250 a month and about $150 a...
6' 01", 176 lbs. In the near term I want to add about 20 lbs of muscle and lose about 10 lbs of body fat, so I'd like to weigh in at about 185 with 10% or less body fat. I'd never want to be massive (I'd rather train for strength and power than for size), and ultimately I'd like to reduce body fat as low as is reasonably possible for some one in their mid-40s. DH
My goal initially is general improvement of cardio fitness and endurance, and general improvement of strength and flexibility. I do plan on developing more strength later, but after establishing a solid foundation of general fitness and improved core strength and stability. Background: I had open-heart surgery in May 2009 (CABG-4 or a "quadruple bypass") when I was just 42 - it's been a long road back to an acceptable level of fitness, and CF is sort of the "next level"....