or Connect

Posts by dhaller

My parents have one (the one I grew up with) which they bought in the mid-1960s; white, it shows no "yellowing" to speak of. While it's not new looking, it also survived a stint as a "basement rec-room table" in a house with two boys in the late-1970s/early 1980s with no damage. It's an excellent table. (As a child I used to up-end it to pretend it was a hover-disk, and I'd stand on the underside of the tabletop and "drive" the hover-disk using the base as a "steering...
I know Manhattan spares no expense in getting good instructors. For instance, they just go ahead and pay far more than any other outfit ($100/hour to teach plus a $4000 or so hiring bonus... not bad for a part-time job). They require all their teachers to have scored in the top 1% of the test they teach.That said, it's not a guarantee of a good teacher - it's always best if you can ask around - but I do admire the approach of "lets throw money at the best people so they'll...
That's true, there are two brief essays, which are a little different in terms of practice - obviously it would be useful to get feedback, something one might get more of in a proctored course sort of setting.I would *guess* that there are forums out there where people can post essays and other members comment on/critique them. I don't really have time to look for such but it seems likely (and if one doesn't exist someone should set one up!) The best way to improve writing...
If I had to prepare for a standardized test - GRE, GMAT, or LSAT (MCAT would be a little different) here's what I'd do: First, I'd do my research on materials. I'd ask on forums, of course, but I'd also check out review comments on Amazon. What I would want to know is how similar are the review materials' sample tests and problems to the real test? If I'm going to play tennis on a grass court, I want to practice on a grass court! I'd also search hosting sites for...
I took it in 1989... is that really 23 years ago?No one has any idea how to tutor GRE/SAT/ACT or any "problem solving/aptitude" test really, because you're not really teaching material but teaching how to think about and approach problems.The truth is that what improves scores is simply practice; the courses value lies entirely in (i) providing a structured environment for practice and (ii) acting as a forum for re-learning forgotten procedures ("how do I factor a...
The Kaplan program is pretty good. Really, I think any "major" program is going to be okay if you're mainly looking for structure/monitored study.I will say this, though - the ONLY criterion for teacher hiring by any of these outfits is scoring high on the GRE (usually top 5%), followed by *maybe* thirty hours or so of training (Kaplan has five training sessions plus "prepping" the teaching material over the course of about one month (a 3-4 hour session once weekly), for...
Well, from my vantage point (I'm a physicist, in academia), I see increasing demand in several key fields. (i) Materials science: this is where nanotechnology lives (nanotubes being the obvious very-promising technology here). Lots of exciting stuff here like graphenes, aerogels, superconductive materials and so on. Access includes chemical engineering, condensed matter physics, organic and analytic chemistry. (ii) Robotics: Very high cool factor, and a technology driven...
CLASSIC management consulting question (last time I heard it it was "gas stations in Germany"). I haven't read the posts here (and I'm sure it's been covered) but the basic "solution" is to estimate number of households, use this as a prediction of number of cars, then guestimate mileage driven per car annually, average fuel efficiency of cars, and then make a determination of number of stations needed to fulfill this need; it's a question which tests chain-of-reasoning...
About southern cooking/soul food in Atlanta: Collonade is for your "white folks" southern fare. It's a trip on Friday nights when you have the conservative families and the big tables of aging gay men adjacent to each other. It's also cash only, if that matters. Busy Bee is your "black folks" soul food - oxtail, turkey neck bones, fried chicken, collards. It's good stuff... it's a little hole-in-the-wall place down by Morehouse and Clark Atlanta University. I see Rev....
I request "no shoes" in my house, and I always give folks a heads-up about that when they're invited over; I also provide "house shoes" (a Japanese custom I picked up living there). If I *know* I'm headed someplace where shoes will be removed, I certainly wear socks. That said, I've been ambushed with it a few times, and I just happily complied with my bare feet DH