or Connect

Posts by Sunnydale

It isn't really possible to do this in America with our tax laws, and dollar being the world trading currency, but overseas in Europe moving money out of the country and into an island account hidden away from the tax man is common - from what I've been told. If that is the case hard to imagine the new much higher French tax rate will raise much tax revenue for the government. Tax policy influences behavior, and those with money want to find ways to hold onto it. In...
I guess what I've found interesting about Fox's success is the lack of interest in other news agencies borrowing their ideas. The basic premise of Fox News is simply presenting different sides to a story - left, right, libertarian etc. Often commentary is thrown into the mix. The news presenters are more responsive to the public also. It allows viewers the learning of some of the different ideas to a political situation. Overall, it makes for entertaining...
Thomas Sowell has a nice write up about redistribution from this morning. This isn't the first time Obama has said this, with wanting to spread the wealth around. The idea was tried, wide spread, through out the world in the 20th century. It's an old idea. Often as we see though taking wealth through government means from the successful often leaves a nation poor for all."Fallacy Of Redistribution Has Grave Economic...
I think the item I noticed the most after school was how quickly time went anymore. It took me a little while getting used to being out on my own. It was chaotic, as before everything had been pretty much planned for the day by teachers. No complaints now, it's good to have greater independence I suppose.
From what I take from the comment basically a large portion of the population receives benefits from the government. It's true. And it tends to be Democrats that are viewed as bigger believers in large government programs, encouraging Americans onto government handouts. For example recently President Obama made it easier for Americans to be eligible for welfare payments. Obama did away with former President Clinton's popular welfare reforms. Some will say the new...
Germany has been in a precarious position with energy supplies over the years. As with much of western Europe, they receive a good amount of their energy from an unfriendly Russia.I suppose in an ironic twist, Germany could be receiving gas/ energy supplies in the future from the jewish state of Israel."Israel: Coping with Its Gas Bonanza"http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/09/02/israel-coping-with-its-gas-bonanza/excerpt:&"Israel’s shale...
I remember seeing at the US Open that Djokovic was now wearing Uniqlo. He used to wear an Italy brand of tennis cloths that started with a T, but forget its name this morning. Can't say one way or another with wearing Uniqlo. I haven't tried them out before.
Nice article.I thought these good ideas also when looking at colleges. This article has a chart of how much debt one would average at a particular University."Charting College Debt"http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/05/14/charting-college-debt/snippet:&"What’s Your College Major Worth?"http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/04/21/whats-your-college-major-worth/
Illinois is broke. Just the other week the state received a credit down grade due to being deep in debt. In this economic environment, It is hard to imagine public school teachers receiving a 16% pay increase.I suspect what is happening though is that typically in the past, a pay increase for public school teachers would be a non-issue. What has happened is government/pubic service unions have been able to vote into power politicians that support their causes. In...
It is troubling at how high unemployment for youth is, here in the US and in Europe also. That spells trouble, as rioting and political disruption tends to be a young persons activity.One area that might help is addressing minimum wage laws. Most people that work minimum wage are not there to support a family, as they are to earn extra spending money and gain work experience. With high minimum wages though businesses are less likely to hire unskilled young...