or Connect

Posts by Icehawk

Quote: Originally Posted by EzraPaul I can't post a legit thread and the last one was deleted. It's the internet. Don't take yourselves too seriously. Sigh. The thing is without rules, and following them, there is chaos. Don't believe me? Go to one of those nutbar forums like 4Chan and see where that gets you. Just like in real life we need some kind of rules to get along. The best forums I belong to are the strictest - because they...
Quote: Originally Posted by Klobber For that budget, you have no option but to go to a Cole Haan outlet and do the honors. Either that or visit Clarks. That is of course if you want a new pair. A used pair you could probably score a higher end shoe. That said, I am assuming you are like me - I absolutely refuse to buy second hand shoes. Never ever buy second hand, 90% of people have vile hygene. Anyway, why would any self respecting individual...
Great article Paul, thanks for linking it! It's really sad to think like so many other American industries that there are just a few survivors left.
Quote: Originally Posted by EzraPaul Yeah I get it. The suits I was selling here were old ones that I no longer wear, not my brand. I was not trying to sell mine online and treat this as a storefront. And either way, I fixed the issues, except that I couldn't delete the bumps (I did change them to ".." and removed my signature. Don't see the harm. You don't see the harm because you are new and don't understand how competitive the B&S forum...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum I barely spend more than that on my shirts (ModernTailor etc), and I still don't have any that contain polyester. Ditto. All my dress shirts are cotton or linen. I don't think I even have more than 1 t-shirt that is not 100% cotton.
Does getting something back from the cleaners for the first time count? I had this really nice Barneys shirt, sort of like a lightweight sweater, and when it came home to me it was full of pinholes. How about finding my vintage ski sweater (it had been in storage since the late 80s) and taking it to the cleaner and instead of cleaning it they destroyed it bleeding the colors into each other? Didn't even get to wear that one.
Quote: Originally Posted by PhiloVance Ms. Freeman indicated that EG is able to have that particular last re-made for an additional price. Wait, what?
Quote: Originally Posted by tgt465 Actually bamboo gets turned into rayon, not polyester. I don't own anything rayon, except some jackets with rayon (Bemberg) linings, which I feel are rather good quality, soft and seem to breathe well. Thanks - I knew it was a synthetic at least
Quote: Originally Posted by gj555 Same question here. I was at my tailor today getting fitted for a MTM suit and he had on display a jacket he made for himself in bamboo. Nice texture and pattern and it seemed light weight but no idea how it would hold up and wear. From what I understand most "bamboo" isn't actually bamboo fiber the way we think of it but instead is poly made from bamboo materials. A search on bamboo fiber will probably...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton The BB is only the classic formal shoe that is readily available today. EG makes a nice one but it costs 3x as much and is hard to find. Mine are Church, quite OK for what they are, but Church apparently stopped making that model a long time ago. Are we talking GY welt only? I saw a pair of patent Ferragamo's last weekend at NMLC, did not look closely to see construction method. I know a few of the...