or Connect

Posts by MillionaireTeacher

Exactly what engineering and craftsmanship are you referring to? The only functional engineering output of a watch is telling accurate time. And not breaking down. After $10, they are all accurate to within a few seconds a year. And I can not recall ever having a watch break. EVER. Can you explain to me what "engineering" is missing from a $100 Swatch? Or how a $10k tells "better" time? Stylistic value. Sure. But take away the logo, and you think people are...
#1: Yes #2: Not all, but stainless steel = stainless steel. #3: Not all. But stopwatch = stopwatch. It doesn't take $10,000 to build an accurate stopwatch. #4: You aren't a watchmaker. You have no clue about what makes it work "good" or "bad". You just know if it keeps correct time. And, all watches are basically accurate. (See #1) #5: Yes, give or take For #1-5, everything is empirically the same. I guarantee you could not tell the difference b/w #1-5 if the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinstripes I was looking to buy into a better brand. I guess if people were buying by looks alone, all those higher-end watch makers would be out of business. Yes, that was kinda my point. Are you a renter or owner? How much money do you have saved? Go with the $100 watch that looks great, and invest the balance elsewhere. Watches above $100 are to show wealth. They do not tell you "better" time. But,...
I meant "gay" in the colloquial sense. Like, "metrosexual" Caring a little too much about clothing, etc.
Your boss is compensating for his lack of actual skill and value-add by playing dress up to an extreme level. He knows he's expendable, and is trying to create some sort of "value". If he were invaluable, he'd know he could show up in sweats. He is a loser, but you can't see that yet. Find out what his father did for a living. Also, find out where he went to college. You will learn a lot there. I bet I can almost predict it. Please PM me the answer.
Quote: Originally Posted by artoftime I cannot think of another consumer product in which the gulf between the publicly perceived quality and the reality I saw is as broad as with the Explorer" Ok, so a Rolex doesn't even keep accurate time? That's news to me. I assume, at this point in history, all watches from $10 to $10k keep the same accurate time. Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma So intrinsic value is about how...
Quote: Originally Posted by ramuman What about a Panerai? What about an IWC? If there was no logo, you really think it's worth $10k? I mean, it's metal and it tells time, and has a stopwatch. Just like a $100 one. To me, it's 99% markup, which is perfectly fine, but one should know that. Unless you can quantify exactly how its different/better. Otherwise, it has 1 purpose. To show you paid $x for a watch. So, if you ask me, I think they're...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma Can you define "intrinsic" value? Pretend there was no logo. No one could tell it was a Rolex. It is just a steel watch. Could you even tell the difference b/w that and a $100 Swatch, or a $300 _____ ? What would you pay for it now? $5000? I think not.
Ok, so a Boxster is simply a shitty and unreliable car.
Does anyone remember the "Dapper Bandit" from the 1980s? America's Most Wanted http://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/07/us...l?pagewanted=1