or Connect

Posts by California Dreamer

Interesting notification today ...
[[SPOILER]] 47. Moonstone: the boy who never wasMoonstone: The Boy Who Never Was by SjónMy rating: 3 of 5 starsMani Steinn ("Moonstone") is a rent boy living in Reykjavik in 1918. The war is ending, Iceland is creeping towards independence from Denmark and the Spanish flu is sweeping the town. The orphaned Mani lives with an old woman and, when not plying his trade, pursues his twin obsessions of cinema and the enigmatic girl Sola G.This book is a bit of a departure for...
[[SPOILER]] 46. The Association of Small BombsThe Association of Small Bombs by Karan MahajanMy rating: 4 of 5 starsThree boys visit a Delhi market. A bomb planted by Muslim activists goes off, and two of the boys - Hindus - are killed. The third boy Mansoor, a Muslim, survives.Mahajan explores the aftermath of the bombing, knitting together a plot that spans the subsequent decades by looking at the impact on the victims' family, the survivor and his family and the...
Congrats to Matt and GF on getting to 50. I need to work harder at it; not far away now.
Matt, I noticed that Harari has just published a kind of follow-up to Sapiens called Homo Deus, which looks at the future of humankind. I've read Carey's Kelly book. I think he did pretty well to take the only surviving example of how Kelly expressed himself - the Jerilderie letter - and extend that to a book written in the voice of an historical figure. The proof is that when he gets to the writing the letter, it blends in seamlessly with the novel's voice. The story,...
I know it's not good for the blood pressure to read these articles, but anyway. Quite apart from Brioni's spectacular fail in trying to link their brand and logo to heavy metal, what do people think of this assessment of the decline of the suit? https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/oct/08/brioni-justin-o-shea-mens-suits-don-draper-fashion
Cuir Plein Fleurs today. This is one of my safe options, when I don't want to think too much about it. Mildly leather, mildly floral, lasts well. Not brilliant, but does the job as an office scent.
[[SPOILER]] 45. The Rules of Backyard CricketThe Rules of Backyard Cricket by Jock SerongMy rating: 4 of 5 starsThe Rules of Backyard Cricket is the story of two cricketing prodigies from the wrong side of the tracks. Darren, the narrator, is a gifted tearaway with scant regard for the rules, whereas his older brother Wally is a gimlet-eyed disciplinarian dedicated to his career.The novel starts with Darren bound and gagged in the boot of a car, heading up the Geelong Road...
Floris Cefiro today. Pretty undistinguished cologne, with only fleeting longevity. Still, we are getting gale force winds; maybe it got blown away.
More spring, more veitver. Couer de Vetiver Sacre today.