or Connect

Posts by California Dreamer

This book started as a film script, and the saga of getting it filmed has been almost as tantalising as the book. Sony owns the rights, and the current incarnation looks like having Ryan Reynolds playing Don. I'm not sure that a guy known for playing super hero movies is ideal casting. An early attempt had Jennifer Lawrence as Rosie and Richard Linklater directing. That fell through, unfortunately, and it seems to have been behind Lawrence's recent comments about not...
Floid Vigoroso after shave today followed up by some dabs of vintage Eau Sauvage Extreme
Well, I must say those responses took me by surprise. I think I must be talking to the wrong set of people; the whole point is volunteerism and helping others.
Hi all. I was wondering if some of you veterans can give me some advice. I have been approached by a charity that wants to establish an eBay presence selling men's clothing to raise funds. I have only ever acted as a sole trader selling individual items on my own account. Due to tax laws here, I haven't had to worry about tax records, accounting and so on, nor have I had a store. I also believe that eBay has some kind of charity initiative that they may be able to take...
[[SPOILER]] 51. Mothering SundayMothering Sunday by Graham SwiftMy rating: 3 of 5 starsBasking in the afterglow of an illicit sexual encounter with an affianced gentleman, maid Joan Fairchild ponders what next. She knows he is leaving, and she is sure that their tryst will not come to light, but otherwise things are unclear to her as an orphan on Mothering Sunday. The author reveals that future, which Joan could never have anticipated as she lay on his bed and roamed naked...
[[SPOILER]] 50. Coming RainComing Rain by Stephen DaisleyMy rating: 4 of 5 starsLew McCleod is in itinerant shearer who roams the drought-stricken Western Australia backblocks with his mentor, Painter Hayes. They wind up at the run-down Drysdale Downs station, where they are engaged to shear the recently-widowed John Drysdale's flock. There Lew encounters Drysdale's young daughter Clara.As Daisley tells Lew's story, he recounts a parallel story of a pregnant dingo bitch on...
[[SPOILER]] 49. The WallcreeperThe Wallcreeper by Nell ZinkMy rating: 1 of 5 starsTiffany and Stephen are American birdwatchers living in Berne, where Stephen is some kind of researcher. At the start of the novel, there is an accident and Tiffany loses a baby. A wallcreeper is hurt in the accident, and they take it back home with them.And that's pretty much all we hear about the wallcreeper. It drops from sight soon enough, which makes one wonder at the title.The two seem...
[[SPOILER]] 48. Grant & IGrant & I by Robert ForsterMy rating: 4 of 5 starsRobert Forster's account of the career of great Australian indie band the Go-Betweens is at different times witty, heart-warming and, ultimately, sad. There are revelations here, such as the deep acrimony that the band broke up in, and the sickness that afflicted both leads in the band's final years. This is an excellent rock-and-rolll story, with the quirky erudition of its flamboyant author...
New author to me. What's his genre?
Dries van Noten par FM today. Mostly sandalwood with a bit of tonka creaminess. This is a really good office scent.