or Connect

Posts by California Dreamer

29. The Book of the Dead The Book of the Dead: Lives of the Justly Famous and the Undeservedly Obscure by John Lloyd My rating: 4 of 5 stars I’ll start by saying that I am a fan of QI. I enjoy my weekly dose of the weird and wonderful arcane trivia that Stephen Fry and his panel wheel out for our amusement. There is also nothing like the air of superiority that you can bask in when you realise that Fry is talking complete bollocks, and that you actually know him to be...
Aramis 900 today.
Queen of the South was god-awful. Don’t take that as representative of his work. If you like stuff like The Three Musketeers, the Alatriste books are fun. Most of the rest of his fiction is pretty good, but very different to his historical fiction.
Today, YSL Jazz. Tonight I am going to see a play called Shadowlands, so I’m dressing top to toe in dark clothing and wearing Noir de Noir.
Depends what sort of fare you’re looking for, but I’ve really enjoyed Arturo Perez-Reverte in translation, especially his Captain Alatriste swashbuckling series. He’s written some good thrillers too, like The Flanders Panel and The Seville Communion.
I have some of that I found in an op shop once. It came in a Cartier leather sleeve. I really should get it out and try it.
Thought I’d take a photo of my new PJ blazer in better light. This is today’s attempt at biz casual; slightly better this time, I think. PJ blazer and polo, Balmain cords and EG suede brogues. Scarf is op shop anon.
Foxy, you look bloody miserable in that photo.
If she wants rubies tell her to stand in line and wait five years. 25 is the silver anniversary, and that's all she gets. I suggest a nice silver salver that she can serve your afternoon tea with while you watch the rugger.
An accurate, if dangerous, definition.Instead of eternity rings, my wife and I went for watches as our present to each other on our 10th anniversary. You can spend pretty much as little or as much as you want/can afford. We didn't go overboard; just bought a couple of near-matching Raymond Weil's. Much more useful than a ring - I still wear mine almost daily 25 years later.