or Connect

Posts by California Dreamer

I bought a peacoat from them a while ago. There are photos somewhere here. Happy overall, but there are a few points to note:1/ choice of fabric. I got the impression that all of Hermen's fabric choices are from Chinese mills. I'm not drawing any conclusions as to quality, but they do not offer the English and Italian cloth that you'll find elsewhere.2/ No second fitting. The measure you up and agree the order, and then it gets sent to you. If there are any issues, you get...
Zahd today, as foretold. Potent stuff and lasts a long time. To me, this is a "Christmas in July" scent; ony really good for winter, but has all the spicy fruit that you get in plum pudding. I really like it, but I don't now how often I'd wear it.
I seem to be tracking you guys. Yesterday I wore Sartorial, and today Rochas Man. Can't say I'm blown away by either, although Sartorial has a bit of class. I think the Rochas may get moved on and give way to London or New Haarlem. I've been a bit boring lately. Tomorrow is the weekend, and I'm going to wear Slumberhouse Zahd; the hell with it.
I've read Suspect X and Mailce, and enjoyed both of them. I'm on the lookout for a few more, starting with "Salvation of a Saint". I've also read a couple by Fuminori Nakamura that were not bad, notably "The Thief", and will read more of his. Any other recommendations?
[[SPOILER]] 29. The Shepherd's CrownThe Shepherd's Crown by Terry PratchettMy rating: 3 of 5 starsI have had so much enjoyment from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books over so many years I felt that, almost as an act of gratitude, his final novel was mandatory reading.I find Tiffany Aching is one of the dreariest denizens of the Discworld, so I was a bit disappointed that this final book was centred around her and the Wee Free Men. At the outset, one of the major Discworld...
Hated Atonement, but I think I'm in the minority.
Ortigia Sandalo today. This is a pretty straightforward sandalwood, but with great projection and longevity.
I recently had a vintage umbrella restored by this lady. She is the only person left in Australia who still makes umbrellas. I was very happy with the result, but she is a bit difficult to deal with because her English is very bad. Because she's MTO, you have a much better choice of fabric, construction and handle. If you're prepared to pay for something a bit different to the run-of-the-mill black job, she is well worth checking out.
[[SPOILER]] 28. NormalNormal: The Most Original Thriller Of The Year by Graeme CameronMy rating: 4 of 5 starsTo read Normal is to occasionally have to question yourself. Graeme Cameron's first person account of a serial killer is laced with mordant humour that causes you to laugh and then think "how could I have laughed at that?". (For example, his wry observation that the girl in McDonalds looked like she'd make good hamburgers).At the outset, Cameron's unnamed anti-hero...
Bloody Sydneysiders get all the good sales ....