Posts by California Dreamer

@The Ernesto You might want to try Polo Ralph Lauren Green, which has leather, tobacco AND pine. I would also like to plug local firm Evocative Perfumes' Siberian Fir
5. The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land In Between The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land In Between by Hisham Matar My rating: 4 of 5 stars Novelist Hisham Matar is the son of a major opponent of Muammar Qaddafi. When he was young, Hisham's father was kidnapped and disappeared by the regime. This book is about his quest to find out what happened to his father in the depths of Qaddafi's prisons. Matar entertains some hopes that his father is not dead, and tries his...
@The Ernesto
So which of you guys has been donating ties to the Salvos in Malvern? I was in there today and found ties by Drake's, Corneliani, D'Avenza, Italo Ferretti (by Brioni) and - the clincher - Carlo Franco. Sure only long-standing SF members have ever bought a CF tie.
Like an old bottle of wine, it depends on how it's been stored. Stored in dry, dark places, perfume can last a long time. I have a 100 year old bottle of Jicky that is still quite wearable.Clear bottles like these are a worry because they will suffer from light strike if left in the open. Opening them and smelling them is the best test, and they were quite OK.What does happen with most vintage is that they lose complexity over time. Some of the more ephemeral, brighter...
Have you tried on their size 36? I find their jeans quite forgiving.
Between a Wolf and a Dog just won Georgia Blain (posthumously) the richest prize in Australian fiction. Shows what I know, eh?
For@Master-Classter and other fragrance fans. Found these in a market today.
4. Everyone is Watching I seem to be on a NYC kick right now; 3 of my 4 this year have been set there. Everyone Is Watching by Megan Bradbury My rating: 3 of 5 stars Everyone is Watching is purportedly a novel, but it really isn't. It's more like a series of little vignettes from the lives of famous New Yorkers such as Robert Mapplethorpe, Edmund White, Walt Whitman and Robert Moses. The idea seems to be that these little stories add up to telling the story of New York...
3. The Museum of Modern Love The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose My rating: 4 of 5 stars The Museum of Modern Love is a tale set against the backdrop of performance artist Marina Abramovic's gruelling 75 day performance at New York's MoMA, The Artist is Present.Countless people came to MoMA to see Abramovic sit quietly at a table and stare quietly at a series of volunteers who sat opposite her. What does she see and think, and what do the volunteers...