or Connect

Posts by California Dreamer

Will do. I usually keep up with the Quarterly Essay. Have you read Talking To My Country?
[[SPOILER]] 55. Hunger Makes Me a Modern GirlHunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie BrownsteinMy rating: 4 of 5 starsThis memoir by musician and actor Carrie Brownstein describes her childhood and musical career. Coming through the riot grrrl movement in the Washington capital Olympia, Brownstein co-founded Sleater-Kinney, one of the most successful bands to emerge from that movement, and one of the biggest indie bands in the world for a time.Brownstein takes us behind...
[[SPOILER]] 54. The SelloutThe Sellout by Paul BeattyMy rating: 4 of 5 starsThe home-schooled child of a black sociologist decides, after his father's death, to do something to resuscitate Dickens, the black neighbourhood he grew up in, which has disappeared from modern maps of LA.He is inspired in how to do this by his elderly neighbour Honiny, a former child actor who enjoyed a modicum of stardom playing black racist stereotypes in the Little Rascals films. Hominy wants...
I thought as much. I figure on wearing them for a few weeks until they soften, give them a wash, and then start deciding on length.Yep. If you just refer to selvage as the seam finish, then Uniqlo do very comfortable selvage jeans for around $50. I think ryan might be referring to raw denim and, if I understand it right, the Japanese stuff is different again because the looms used are vintage looms. I mainly bought these for the colour, a good alternative to the usual...
Bought my first pair of Japanese denim selvage jeans. (Photo from ad) These are a bit long for me and I'm mulling over whether to get them shortened. If I turn the cuffs up, what would be the max turnup that would look OK? (I'm a 29 inch inseam if that helps). I seem to recall that Up There in Melbourne can do proper hemming on jeans; is that correct?
Funky Spex in Johnson St Collingwood, right near Smith St.
Thanks for the input guys, very helpful.Ironically, thanks to your election result, the exchange rate has gone ga-ga. Getting a bit pricey now anyway.
[[SPOILER]] 53. His Bloody ProjectHis Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae BurnetMy rating: 4 of 5 starsIn this novel, Burnet captures the life of a downtrodden crofter in northern Scotland by recounting the circumstances leading up to his murder trial.The story is recounted through witness statements, a confession, memoirs and reportage. Roddy Macrae is a very sympathetic figure, much put-upon by his eventual victim, the local Constable Lachlan McKenzie. Barnet reveals the...
Far better to talk about that than what's going on in Perth.
[[SPOILER]] 52. The World Without UsThe World Without Us by Mireille JuchauMy rating: 3 of 5 starsThe Mullers are a family living in a remote community. Parents Evangeline and Stefan met on a nearby commune where the eldest child, Tess, was born. The commune burned to the ground, and the family relocated to a nearby farm where Stefan is an apiarist. The loss of daughter Pip to illness hangs over the family. Tess has become wilfully mute and Evangeline wanders the...