or Connect

Posts by California Dreamer

This thread is starting to read like The Knowledge.
Let's just say this is going to become a whole lot more contentious when she ages a bit more.
2. Eileen Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh My rating: 3 of 5 stars Eileen is best thought of as a character study. It's not really a crime novel or a thriller, although Moshfegh shoots for that in her final act. The book is much more about the inner life of her narrator, a misfit daughter of an alcoholic former policeman, working at the local boys' prison and dreaming of getting the hell out of her New England small town.This means that the novel stands or falls on whether you...
When did you arrive in Oz? I should put you in touch with the Sydney perfumistas.
Yes, my sister died of it.I went to Tim's Comedy Festival show where he talked about it quite openly. Can you believe some idiot heckler had a go at him for not being funny?
Does the DAAS book go into Tim's MS much?
Any large gents up for a 2nd-hand Kiton suit? EU58R drop 7, solid medium grey, wool/mohair blend. I got this for my son a while back and he has lost a heap of weight, so no longer needs it.
I read 62 in 2016 - bit low for me; i think I hit 65 the year before. So 65+ is my aim. 1. The Lonely City The Lonely City by Olivia Laing My rating: 4 of 5 stars I did not expect to enjoy this book; it seemed a depressing choice for this time of year. Olivia Laing writes about her sense of loneliness in New York by examining the work of (mostly) New York artists, writers and musicians whose work and lives have been informed by a sense of isolation and aloneness.Some of...
[[SPOILER]] 62. The Noise of TimeThe Noise of Time by Julian BarnesMy rating: 3 of 5 starsThis book is a novelised account of Shostakovich's life under the heel of the oppression exerted by Stalin and then by Khrushchev. Barnes captures Shostakovich's brushes with Power at three crucial stages in his life and, in the process, posits questions about who owns music, what is it for, and on the nature of courage versus cowardice in the face of a lifetime of intimidation.View...
[[SPOILER]] 61. The Secrets She Kept/B]The Secrets She Kept by Brenda NovakMy rating: 3 of 5 starsWealthy businessman Keith learns that his mother has been found dead, presumed to be suicide. Keith cannot believe that his domineering, successful mother could possibly have killed herself and sets out to prove that it was murder. In the process he digs up a lot of family secrets and rekindles a dormant affair.There are a lot of interesting twists and turns in Novak's plot,...