or Connect

Posts by California Dreamer

[[SPOILER]] 40. BeastBeast by Paul KingsnorthMy rating: 4 of 5 starsPaul Kingsnorth's new novel is a short account of a man's retreat from modern society. Edward Buckmaster, presumably a descendant of Buccmaster from The Wake, leaves his wife and child behind and heads to a derelict cottage in the moors to live as a hermit.Buckmaster has a terrible accident and, unable to seek help, ends up in a primal survival state. While he is out one day, from the corner of his eye he...
[[SPOILER]] 39. The Secret ChordThe Secret Chord by Geraldine BrooksMy rating: 4 of 5 starsI've enjoyed a few of Geraldine Brooks' recent novels, notably March, so I was keen to see what she did with the life story of King David.The story is narrated by the prophet Natan, who first encounters David as the leader of an outlaw band in the time of Shaul. David kills Natan's father, whereupon Natan is seized in a prophetic fit and foretells David's future as a great king....
Too late; I bought the navy Supergas.I don't agree that there is some age-related rule regarding what you can put on your feet. What matters is comfort, whether it looks right with the rest of your outfit and is appropriate for what you're doing. My only real alternative beach footwear would be thongs, so these are fine.If you're talking about the kind of Raf Simons monstrosities stocked at Sneakerboy then yes, I'd look like an idiot wearing them, but there's nothing wrong...
Still powering through my Guerlain collection. Since L'hB: Mouchoir de Monsieur. Lovely lavender fragrance with a creamy vanilla dry-down. If I ever see an affordable bottle, I will grab it. Heritage EDT. I mostly get sandalwood and patchouli from this one, after a greeny opening. Could make a good spring scent. Songe d'Un Bois d'Ete. This is all oudh at the start, but by the end of the day , it had turned into more of a floral with a bit of a sharp edge to it. I may be...
Good on you for supporting the Aussies. Jocelyn is in a couple of the Australian groups I'm a member of; she's a lovely lady.
[[SPOILER]] 38. QuotaQuota by Jock SerongMy rating: 4 of 5 starsJock Serong's first novel won the Ned Kelly Award, Australia's top crime fiction award, so he is clearly one for crime fans to watch.Dissolute lawyer Charlie Jardim is thrown a lifeline by a prosecutor and sent down to a small fishing town to interview a witness to a murder; the witness's story does not appear credible. While trying to get to the facts, Charlie encounters a hostile and uncooperative local...
[[SPOILER]] 37. She Will Build Him a CityShe Will Build Him a City by Raj Kamal JhaMy rating: 3 of 5 starsRaj Kamal Jha's novel is set in New Delhi, and intertwines three stories set in that city: a woman talking to her sleeping child about their shared past, a man contemplating murder, and a baby abandoned at an orphanage.Jha seeks to blend his realist narrative with fantasy elements, especially in the baby's story. This is clunky at times, and I don't think it really...
That's one of my favourites. I agree that it does not smell like a typical Guerlain, but it is one of my favourite summer scents.Today's Guerlain was L'heure Bleue EDP. TBH I hardly ever wear this - this might be the first time. It opens quite powdery, probably more than I'd like. I got the iris, which I do like, but it soon goes floral in a big way and stays that way. This is just too femme and too strong for the office, which is where I need to be able to wear all my...
They look good. Is there anywhere you can buy them other than Glue? Their website is seriously pissing me off - won't let me look at anything unless I register for their mailing list. F*ck that.
I tend to agree; it's always informative to hear from the guys why they like something, especially when it's new to me.In the spirit, I am part of a challenge elsewhere to wear Guerlain every day for a week. Today I wore L'instant Homme. .Now it would be fair to say that I don't tend to wear this any more; I always tend to reach for LIDGE instead. However I wore LIDGE last week, so I thought "give this another try".L'Instant to me has that cocoa vibe that makes both of...