or Connect

Posts by Winot

Fosters made me a hip wallet in bridle leather which has been excellent. I particularly wanted a hard wearing leather as every OTR wallet I've had in the past has disintegrated at the 'hinge'. So far this one has been great, and was only £190 (from memory) which I thought was good value for a bespoke product. However, they did screw up a bit - I got them to copy a favourite OTR wallet and asked them to make it 1cm higher, which they forgot to do. I have just bought...
Just ordered double monks from Cleverley in black pebble-grain calf... ...with cap.
Two orders from Cleverley yesterday: 1. A winter derby boot - captoe galosh with the lower half made in no. 8 cordovan and the upper half in pebble grained calf. Commando sole for cycling round London in the winter. 2. A double monk cap toe in black pebble grained calf. Total price GBP 6000. The boots will be made first and will take a little while because they need to make a boot last (my first order with them was a shoe - false brogue oxford in black calf). W.
Need some advice about buying a Panerai in London. I've decided I'd like the PAM 338 model, which is the Radiomir 42mm titanium finish. The only lead I have is in Selfridges, where they have two on order (one of the two being reserved) at a price of GBP 5300. The trouble is (and all credit to the seller's honesty), they (a) don't know when Panerai will release the watches and (b) they require a GBP 1000 deposit to even get a look in. So I am faced with a prospect of...
I don't think Graham himself goes into the shop very much any more - the day to day work is done by Russell and Dan. Both are good cutters and I am sure would be happy to fix any problems with your suit. Was it 10 weeks from first measuring to completion? If so, that's really quite quick. I usually reckon on 3-4 months for a bespoke suit.
Yes, I saw that*. Bear in mind that my post you quoted is 18 months old and represents my experience in the preceding few years to that - I haven't used GB for some time and so can't comment on their recent work. I did get the impression however when I was last there that they were overworked.Edit to add: *mein Gott, only just seen the new photos. No way is that representative of GB's work. Needs fixing fast.
An update on Meyer & Mortimer: their prices have gone up by quite a bit. My last suit (a two piece DB) was £2600 plus VAT at 20% = £3120 and I am having a 3 piece (SB peak lapel, 1B, DB vest) made with my own cloth for which the total price will be about the same.Probably brings them up to a similar level to comparable Row tailors i.e. before they were under-priced compared to the market.
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS Part of that could have been due to cloth selection and/or a rise in prices. Have you asked why the greater cost? Although as you note, you are happy. It was a Lessers cloth (very nice blue pinstripe with a slight 'ridge' stripe between each pinstripe) and I assume that caused the hike. In fact I did ask that at the time (I mean when I was given the bill on collection), but there was so much awkwardness...
Quote: Originally Posted by WingTips Potentially going for their MTM and was told by them that production still outsourced to wensum in norwich (despite past reports here to the contrary) Any had any experiences good or bad? No experience, sorry, but my colleague has a sports coat from years back which looks pretty good. Do you happen to know their price for MTM trousers?
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS In my further experience, once a relationship has been well established, exceptions are made. Yes, I now pay on completion at one tailor I use with nothing asked for a deposit. That said, it was here I received the £500 surprise noted above.