or Connect

Posts by Jenaimarr

Deep Springs College?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Springs_College
Sort of yes and sort of yes.Family has run several types of businesses from small retail and restaurants back in the day to (currently) large semi-conductor manufacturing companies. Couple that with real estate holdings and various family trusts and our use of accountants has been pretty extensive.Sister is a tax cpa at a top 5 large local (turned down offers from IRS and KPMG), ex-gf was large local then PWC audit, several friends at other big4 (big5 back in the day)...
How hard is it to pay an accountant $150 a year to file your taxes? I'm sure it would've been cheaper to go to H&R block but why wouldn't I use the same person that has been doing my family's various taxes for going on 2 decades?Granted it's not some joe schmoe who I just looked up in the yellow pages, though if you actually look in the Chinese yellow pages, most private practice accountants make it a major point to advertise their pedigree. Most of my friends who...
Shady Chinese CPAs?I know I can't be alone in my experience, but don't people get tax advice from their accountants/lawyers all the time that are somewhat in the nebulous grey area? I've had experience with fresh CPAs who like to do everything by the book and other experiences with 'seasoned" vets (esp with Big4 audit/IRS backgrounds) who will give the disclaimer that certain deductions are technically "not exactly legal" by the book but because of various factors or...
According to my CPA the taxable income was somewhat nebulous depending on the source of funds. If you received your stipend through university payroll you were taxed. If you had your own grant funding from either a federal instution (NIH, etc) or a private non-profit organization with tax exemption status it wasn't taxed. Social security and all the little bits were withheld from your paycheck but income tax wasn't.Yes, I believe deducting tuition you personally didn't...
I forgot to add, I didn't have a TA requirement for my program so my entire time was dedicated to research. I had classmates who voluntarily decided to TA and their doctoral advisors were nice/well off enough to let them pocket the quarterly TA income on top of their graduate student stipend. Of course on the flip side I had classmates in labs that were less well funded such that they had to TA courses just to reach the yearly minimum stipend.
In my 1st year of grad school the stipend was $22.5k (2003) and went up slightly every year. By the last year (2009) it was just a bit over $26k. Tuition was paid for by my doctoral advisor so I took home the entire stipend with virtually no taxes since the stipend was paid through grant monies. In addition because tuition was billed to me, I received a 1098T so that I could deduct the tuition expenses. Whether or not this was legal I'm not entirely sure but my...
This is the case for most if not all hard science ph.d's. When I was recently in graduate school for my ph.d (molecular pharmacology), your faculty advisor/PI pays your tuition and pays you a minimum yearly stipend (roughly $26,000/year last I checked) either from their own research grants, departmental graduate student funds, or you had your own research grant. The PI would make up any difference if your personal research/training grant did not cover the minimum yearly...
Quote: Originally Posted by nicelynice Julius doesn't put inside pockets on their jackets, what's up with that? Ro inner pockets are big to the point of being unusable, although one time I fit a ps2 and a book inside when it was raining "Every jacket I make has interior pockets big enough to store a book and a sandwich and a passport." - Rick Owens
Quote: Originally Posted by Bartolo How much was the 30k service? Someone is paying for that service . . . and it stands to reason it's the customers. Longo Lexus was about $300 while Santa Monica and Bev. Hills were asking close to $600.