or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

While I'm here this morning, may I just dispose of this one, which - yes - probably does belong on 'Mod to Suedehead', but it was brought up here.When speaking of the past, one can only refer to one's own experience. Mine, in that era, was in S E London. There the term 'suedehead' was hardly ever heard, and only mentioned for the briefest of moments and with a jokey conotation. It was used to describe a skinhead, usually an older one, who had decided to move out of the...
"Stop!"
I could mention the bonehead I saw in a bus queue* in Edinburgh yesterday. It strikes me that military fatigues had influenced his look, but overall - copy MA1, braces hanging round his arse, camo strides, along with ear-studs, shaven head, and a ciggie in his mouth - I think he would have got a rare bollocking from a Sergent-chef!Personally, although I have a copy MA1 for cold weather use, and a pair of plain fatigue trousers for hiking, olive-drab military gear is...
Again, not something I have done, or have intended to do. I have never pretended to know better than anyone else. I merely stated what I thought it was about, what I thought the ethos was from reading the thread.
Pretty much what we do at the London get-togethers!
Difficult to say after almost half a century. I have the impression that the original Levis SPs were more comfortable and a better fit, but this may have something to do with the fact that I have thickened out a bit and getting strides to fit now means getting myself to fit the strides!
Does anyone recall a documentary about John Simons, the trailer for which can be found here? I can't find out anything about it, I'm afraid, because the website madoogtv.com is all in Japanese. There's another clip of JS here. I must confess that I no longer know the appropriate thread on which to post this! JS opened in 1955 apparently, outfitted many people during the 1960s, but is still patronised by several people on this thread, myself included. Is looking at shots...
Judge for yourself from this picture (which does seem to get about!), but I get the same impression - I own a pair of modern ones as well.
I really don't understand your last comment, except for the last sentence which is - or so I believe - exactly what I was advocating. I don't want another thread where I sit alone and indulge in sartorial masturbation, I want this one (on which I was actually invited to post, by the way). I am merely saying, and I now reiterate, that whilst this is not a thread for people who wish to reenact a particular period of fashion, it does have, as its point of reference, an...
Not really what I was suggesting. If we don't occasionally refer to the starting point, and indeed to interpretations of the look since then, then in my opinion we run the risk of losing sight of the aesthetic altogether. I don't think it would be helpful for this thread to become nothing more than a kind of "What I'm wearing at the moment" thread, with no reference point.