or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

Worth mentioning, then, that when I arrived in London in 68, the kids were wearing loosely-knotted ties with shirts without a button-down collar.
T K Maxx can sometimes yield some surprisingly nice stuff, if you ignore the James May shirts, the skinny-git shirts with the tiny button collars, and the shirts with the massive polo pony on the front. I've managed to blag a couple of Levi denim trucker jackets and some jeans before now.There's an smaller shop here in Perth that sells end-of-stock stuff, and it had some pairs of Bass Weejun tassel loafers in, a couple of weeks back, but not in my size.
Well when we did go to gigs, nine times out of ten the artistes were wearing nothing like what we wore anyway, so no big deal. I had the privilege of seeing three out of the four BT&MGs here at Perth within the last 5 years. Yeah the Colonel played a Tele for years, until Peavey sponsored a signature guitar. That incredible solo on 'Green Onions' was a Tele.By the way, there's a wonderful, rather piss-takey version of the same number by the Shadows in 1983, if you let it...
I often wonder where we got the 'loosened tie' style from. Maybe Ol' Blue-Eyes had something to do with it... .... not to mention the trilby! Okay this is off-musical-topic, but it shows Frank in relaxed mode with tie loosened, recording a song in a single take.
I have at last got round to transcribing from my old dictaphone a snatch of my convo with John Cooper Clarke in which we rambled a bit about the Ben E King gig at the Twisted Wheel in 1968. It doesn't tell us much because I only got us sat down and my recorder switched on part way through the conversation, but I thought I would share anyway: MoM: I saw Ben E King [at the Twisted Wheel] JCC: I saw him there! I saw him there! I was there that night in Whitworth Street. He...
That Ray Sharpe track echoes Aretha Franklin's 'Save Me', which is one of my all-time soul faves. I wonder which one came first, and which one of them Van Morrison was listening to?Lots of great tracks on there, but I think at the time Booker T's 'Slim Jenkins Place' was my favourite.Oh yeah, and 'Some Kind of Wonderful' by the Soul Brothers Six - a floor filler at Blackpool Mecca in my time.
Hi Morganswallow. Yes, that's an old trick.
We've seen the pic before, so it's nice to hear from someone in it! Considering it's a pic of 'Clangers', the styles almost seem stereotypically 'northern' to some of us.
The rest of that MSN thread had some other interesting shoes (as well as citing 'jellies', Teddy Boy 'creepers', and 'winkle pickers', and other shoes you can actually still get!). For example, the 'Cromwell', from the early 1800s, resembles some styles girls might have worn in the 1960s. And these 'Monk Strap' shoes from the 1950s are actually rather stylish.
These look rather familiar. Under the general title '15 Incredible Shoe Styles History Has Forgotten', MSN News has this picture and description: Bluchers "Bluchers are often called derbys or Gibsons. They are similar to the oxford shoes worn today, but feature open-lacing, meaning that the shoe’s quarters are sewn on top of the front of the shoe. The name comes from an 18th century Prussian general named Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, who commissioned this style of...