or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

I can say that James Brown was popular 'up North' while I was there, but when moved to London in mid-1968, I found that Jamaican music and commercial Tamla was more popular. I never heard James Brown records played at the Savoy Rooms, for example.But I'll bet it was a question of where you went. I'm sure we had pics on here of a bunch who called themselves 'soulskins'.(Autocorrect, thank you SO much for 'sealskins'. Not.)
Now you come to mention it, I'm sure I remember watching Ready Steady Go! somewhere in the mid 60s, and Cathy McGowan na Moonie were both in shot, and she was suggesting viewers sent in badges for Moonie to wear. I don't think it was the Ready Steady Who! special.There's one photo floating around of me in 68 or 69 with a badge on the lapel of my jacket - I think it was a trades union badge - but no, you hardly ever saw badges back in the day, except maybe for the...
Just mentioning that back in the day 'cheapskin' was the name given to one made from suedette, with MMF fleece lining, and you could spot them a mile away. So if that one is genuine sheep it's kosher.
Yeah I thought I recognised the kid with glasses and blond hair.
Isn't photoshop wonderful! I believe a Dutch member of this forum found this. Have we seen it before? It is of course a phoney, but it should have happened!
Oy gevalt!
Hi Danny, and welcome. I don't see the pic from 1968, though.
Me too, but I can't remember what we said. I can't remember why I came into this room. Who are you? Who am I?
When I found this forum I had the impression that the people who were already here when I arrived were interested in getting closer to how the 'look' was in the late 60s, wanted to know what life was really like back then, but acknowledged that things had moved on since then. To me, the terms 'Traditional Skinhead' and "Mod to Suedehead' did suggest a particular period, the period I cared about and about which I could make a useful contribution. Maybe it has taken a long...