or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

My Dad was a bit like that. I could hardly get a word out of him about Yugoslavia. I believe it was to do with a girlfriend he had while he was there, and what he found after they had chased the UstaĊĦe out of her village.
My dad had a story - I think this used to go the rounds and was probably the service equivalent of an 'urban myth' - about a sergeant who stepped up to a young soldier/airman/whatever and said:"Am I 'urtin' you? No? Well I should be - I'm standing' on yer bleedin' 'air! Get it cut!"
I ken fine it is. I was referring to the fact that it wasn't too much of a diversion bringing in the topic of war films, because they were part of our growing-up. War comics too.
'War films' were part of the culture we were brought up with in the 1960s. Most of our dads had been in WW2 (e.g. my dad - RAF corporal sparks in N Africa, Italy & Yugoslavia).Two things our generation used to get from the previous:"A spell of National Service would do you good!""You never lived through a war. We did!"
Well, when I lived in Blackpool we had the Mecca, a branch of the Wheel, and a couple of coffee bars that had soul jukeboxes. Where would we go?
You got that right!Well, almost!
Fcuk that!
I've actually ridden an old Vespa. It felt like going down the road balancing on two christmas puddings.
Jeez, don't even go there! If ever I catch Mel Gibson I'll pull his nose as long as my arm!
Just looking at that pic of him reminds me that an anagram of Bradley Wiggins is in wiggly beards.