or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

Quincey Jones - Soul Bossa Nova.Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Mas Que Nada. Absolute classic.Jimmy Lipscombe - Pow Pow Pow, a soul version of Mas Que Nada. I don't know how well known it was in the 60s, but it's certainly in the record boxes of a few Northern Soulies.The earlier mods I knew (mates of my mate next door in Blackpool) were into Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto and the like. Of course there's this modern jazz cracker by Dave Brubeck. I just love Joe Morello's drumming...
I smile when I hear this.
There was a bit of a crossover within the West Indian / Black British community, inasmuch as you might have seen a Rastafarian steel band - like I saw in the early 80s in Toxteth (Liverpool) - playing rather ponderous, serious Dreadlock reggae ("I and I... Babylon downpress I... Jah smite dem..." that kind of stuff).
It looks like one of those combs with the long tail on it.
Don't speak too soon - Johnny's mop hides a 2.5cm centre parting!
No - a fcuking conversation about fcuking Ben E King at the fcuking Twisted Wheel in fcuking Manchester!
Two coincidences: 1) Mike Garry, John's support act last night, mentioned Richard Hell and the Voidoids, and 2) I own a Telecaster.
That would explain it.