or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

Just for fun. Late 1960s. Here are two pics of myself, one back-in-the-day, one contemporary, both on the steps outside Goldsmiths College, London. Me in 1969: Ben Sherman shirt, gash sheepskin from the market, Levi Sta-Prest strides, brown boots (not DMs). Me contemporary: Polaroid shades from Boots, b/d yellow shirt by God-knows-who, Baracuta G9 Harrington, Wrangler Jeans, brown brogues by Jones the Bootmaker, Glasgow. I would have gladly worn an outfit like that in...
Well let's see - I might do it just for fun.Anyhow, Wednesday is charity shop day, and today this sports jacket came in. it's about 40" chest (i.e. much to small for me), but it's really nicely tailored, although the picture doesn't show that.
If you're talking about The Clachan in Kingly St, then it's a long-ish and interesting stroll from where I intend to stay for the night, so that'll do nicely for me.
Word!
The closest the High Street has come yet to the kind of plain blue surfer jacket I knew in 67/68. ('Selected', John Lewis, St James Centre, Edinburgh, April 9th.)
I talked about basket-weave loafers and I find Top Man selling them (a bit naff, but still). If I mention the name of a horse, back it.
I can remember variations on the 'basket weave' theme in the NW in 66-67. I saw the occasional mod in totally basket-weave shoes, but more often I saw loafers and 'Gibsons'* with a basket-weave apron.* I know that at the time in the NW we used the term 'Gibson' totally wrongly, to mean a lace-up shoe with an apron like a loafer.
I'm digging the shades (oh what a surprise!).
So, Wednesday is charity shop day. I was only thinking the other day how much I would have liked a pair of basket-weave loafers back in the day, and today I stumbled across these. Okay, they're a bit lived-in and they're only Claudio Conti, but they're quite... um... cute. Size 41, so not my size. The other pair in today were Samuel Windsor 'monk shoes'.
Thanks Duke, checked it out.By the way, folks, still nada on the email alerts.