or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

Rather like eczema.
*rolls eyes
This is more my recollection of Liverpool (between about 1975 and 1985 when I worked around there and lived not far from it) than it being a particularly racist city. My mum and my maternal grandma were both Liverpudlians* by the way. I felt safer walking through Toxteth than I did walking through Southport at pub-and-club-chucking-out-time.I had a mate who was a copper on the Merseyside force, and he used to tell some stories about the riots that would make your hear...
There were a handful of kids in the Lewisham Bowling Alley crowd with Jamaican heritage. The Savoy Rooms in Catford always got its fair share of black customers. I had a West African creole mate, from somewhere the other side of the River, called Fred Dove who was a skinhead, and helped out a bit with Yell.Anybody with any degree of hair loss got called 'Kojak' back then.
That was a line in the film A Hard Day's Night. I'm not sure he meant it seriously.
Don't quote me, but some of the academics at my daughter's uni couldn't find their arses if you gave 'em a map.
As I said, 'mid' wasn't a term I heard used a lot. It tended to be the media who wanted to lump us into categories. In 1969, as far as I can recall, only kids on the mod/skinhead axis were really 'look-loyal' and 'brand-loyal'. The largest non-skin category was the catch-all term 'wally', which was just a London term for an idiot.
Except for the occasional migrant!